Premier and Minister for the Arts
The Honourable Anna Bligh
BRISBANE'S BIG BIRTHDAY BASH: POWDERFINGER HEADLINE ACT
Queensland will celebrate its 150th birthday on December 10 with an all-star line up of home- grown music talent at Riverstage, Premier Anna Bligh announced today.
"The Q150 Proclamation Day Concert will be headlined and curated by Powderfinger and supported by Custard, the 90s Australian indie rock band from Brisbane, who have re-formed just for the night," Ms Bligh said.
"What better way to celebrate this historic occasion than with our own line-up of home-grown talent - it's the perfect birthday present for the people of Queensland.
"Local talents Yves Klein Blue , The Cairos and The Middle East will make sure we end Queensland's biggest birthday yet with a bang."
Ms Bligh announced for $25 punters would get a ticket to the concert and the new Powderfinger CD, Golden Rule.
Powderfinger are one of the most popular bands in Australia (see attached for more band details). They are Queensland born and b red, and were voted one of our top Q150 icons.
US music bible Billboard recently named Brisbane one of the world's music hotspots thanks to its line up of successful international acts, including Powerfinger.
Powderfinger guitarist and spokesman, Ian Haug, is revved for the event.
"Queensland is youthful and vibrant like rock 'n' roll itself," he said.
"Therefore we are the rock 'n' roll State. Let's get it onto car number-plates!
"We are proud to be headlining, and curating, this fantastic event to help celebrate Queensland's diverse recent musical history.
"We'd like to thank Premier Anna Bligh and the people of Queensland for this opportunity and so many other wonderful opportunities that Queensland has afforded us."
Ms Bligh said Proclamation Day, 10 December, commemorates the public reading by the founding fathers of the new colony in Brisbane of the letters patent from Queen Victoria and its declaration in the Que ensland and New South Wales government gazettes.
"Proclamation Day will officially culminate a year of Q150 celebrations, and what a year it's been," Ms Bligh said.
"Queensland communities have been celebrating Queensland's 150th birthday right around the State this year - through the Q150 Steam Train, the Q150 entertainment Shed, Q150 Film Festival and more."
There have been more than 500 Q150 Community Funding activities and events for Queenslanders to enjoy and more than 90 Q150 Legacy Infrastructure Funding projects.
Tickets are available www.qtix.com.au or call 136 246 from 9am Monday 12 October.
Band background - Q150 Proclamation Day Concert
* Powderfinger's new album "Golden Rule" will be released on 13 November 2009. Recorded in Byron Bay with friend and producer Nick DiDia (Neil Young, Pearl Jam).
Powderfinger's extensive career spans nearly two decades and they have sold in excess of 2 million albums in Australia alone. Winner of sixteen ARIA Awards, the band holds an unprecedented three successive ARIA Awards for ALBUM OF THE YEAR. Powderfinger has achieved five number one ARIA Album Chart debut's and recently scored two entries in the Triple J Hottest 100 of all time (2009) - "These Days" #21 and "My Happiness" #27 - Alongside AC/DC they are the only Australian band to have two songs in the Elite Countdown.
* Custard Celebrating their hey day in the '90s, Custard's produced five albums, two EPs, various singles and two compilations of rarities and unreleased material as well as a greatest hits compilation. They split in 1999 and their primary members have gone on to perform with other bands. Custard re-form in their original line up for one show only.
* Yves Klein Blue made a critically-acclaimed debut "Ragged & Ecstatic". They've toured internationally three tim es, sold out their own headline shows and toured with the likes of Wolfmother, The Living End, The Fratellis and many more.
* Townsville band The Middle East re-released their mini album "The Recordings of the Middle East" in May and have undertaken their own sell-out headline tour, performed at the Splendour in the Grass Festival, and performed at 2009's Big Sound. They are currently writing and recording their debut full-length release.
* The Cairos have spent the past year recording their debut EP "Lost At Sea", selling out their headline shows and sharing the stage with the likes of The Temper Trap, Bertie Blackman, John Steel Singers and many more. They're current recording their follow up.
All Sunshine Coast events, gigs, functions etc... onsite are correct as per information provided at time of uploading, please always verify times or dates directly with the venues to avoid disappointment.
This property has been added to your save list now.