Climate Change & Sustainability Shadow Minister, Glen Elmes today called for all of those interested in the protection of Fraser Island and the survival of pure bred dingoes on the Island to make themselves available to march in a rally being held this Saturday in Brisbane.
The march, organised by the Save the Fraser Island Dingo group will commence at 10.00 a.m. at Emma Miller Place, Roma Street, Brisbane and finish at the steps of Parliament House where a range of people will speak on behalf of the Fraser Island dingo. Speakers will include -
* Glen Elmes - Shadow Minister for Climate Change & Sustainability, Member for Noosa
* Ted Sorenson - LNP Member for Hervey Bay
* Dr Eve Fesl - Indigenous Professor OBE
* Mark Pearson - Executive Director for Animal Lib WLPA - World League For the Protection of Animals
* Auntie Marie - Butchulla Elder and advisor to Save Fraser Island Dingoes Inc
* Prof Allan Wilton - Government Genetics Expert University of NSW
* Pat O'Brien - President of Australian Wildlife Association
* Sue Bloom- Animal Behaviouralist (trained animals for the movie Babe)
Glen Elmes said that the treatment of the Fraser Island dingo under the current management plan will surely see the end to one of the last two pure strains of dingoes left in Australia.
"As it stands these wild dogs are being culled: shot, poisoned, starved, run-over and hazed on an island which is World Heritage listed," Glen Elmes said.
"This is not about maintaining some kind of natural balance because the last thing Fraser island is, even though it is a National Park, is anywhere near its natural state.
"Some 400,000 people visit the Island every year travelling in 4WDs or buses, camping on the beaches and elsewhere across the Island putting great strain on the natural flora and fauna of the Island, including the dingoes.
"The Queensland Government has engaged in a policy of extreme cruelty towards these animals, something that would not be tolerated if domestic dogs in an urban situation were treated the same way."
For additional information on the rally contact Karin Kilpatrick on (07) 4124 1979
SAVE FRASER ISLAND DINGOES
'SATURDAY' 15th May 2010
downloadable: "Save Fraser Island Dingoes Rally" pdf flyer
downloadable: "Dingo March Map" pdf
Glen Elmes MP
Shadow Minister for Climate Change & Sustainability
Member for Noosa
11 May 2010
All Sunshine Coast events, gigs, functions etc... onsite are correct as per information provided at time of uploading, please always verify times or dates directly with the venues to avoid disappointment.
This property has been added to your save list now.