Serious Christmas Stuff!
It is supposed to be a time of joy, fun with families etc etc. For many of us, we can lose the spirit of Christmas due to those self same pressures, getting the work finished before office closure, getting presents purchased & sorted, relatives visiting, food to be purchased & stored, kids on holidays, more people everywhere, the list goes on...
I have to admit that I would be in that category, I think Christmas is great in 'theory', but the 'practicality' of it can drive me insane and exhaust me. To be honest a lot of it just seems to be a hell of a lot of work, and little enjoyment. This year, we are turning a leaf, we are not waiting until New Year for the resolutions, we are starting early, and I thought that others of you out there in the same position may like to borrow some our 'Christmas Resolutions'...
1. I will take time off work this year (and not just to catch up on shopping, cleaning, or running kids around). By the way, the www.mysunshinecoast.com.au office will be closed from 20 Dec to 02 Jan 2007 (we will be checking email intermittently of course)
2. I will try to buy more presents online, so as to save myself time to actually enjoy Christmas and skip the shop rush & stress. Some sites even Gift Wrap them for you, which is really sweet! LOL
3. When I do have to hit the shops for Gifts & Food, I will not swear under my breath in the parking lot, I will understand that we have many visitors here and they may not know where they are going, and I
will not lower myself by wanting to abuse the person who took my parking spot! (that one will be really hard I think...)
4. Also at shops, I will be very kind, polite and patient to storekeepers and their staff, it is also Christmas time for them, and I am sure they are just as pressed for time and would prefer not to be working the extra hours and stressed by pushy or demanding customers.
5. When tidying the house for the rellies arrival, I will take that extra step to clear out gutters, overhanging branches etc. As we have all seen on the news, bushfire season is upon us, so lets be safe. Another point here, if you have firebreaks behind you, please keep them clear, maybe do a neighbourhood drive for it. Fireman have families too and I am sure they would prefer to be spending Christmas with them, not fighting our fires which maybe could have been lessened if we helped?
6. I will 'ENJOY CHRISTMAS'! Even if people have to wait, I will sit on the balcony with a wine & take some time to myself to enjoy the day. People just want to be together & celebrate family and friends, so we should not all stress so much about making it perfect. In years to come you remember the 'fun', not the food or the presents. Particularly after losing my dad this year, it is an important lesson to learn, and if you have friends that have nowhere to go on Christmas, invite them over, Christmas is for everyone!
Everyone, please have a very Merry Christmas, borrow some of my resolutions and make it a great one for everyone and also yourself!
Best Wishes, Noely, Community Site Co-ordinator