A NIGHT WITH OPERA QUEENSLAND PRESENTED BY THE EVENTS CENTRE AND OPERA QUEENSLAND
Some of Opera Queensland’s favourite artists – including soprano Emily Burke, tenor Bradley Daley and baritone Shaun Brown – will take audiences on an adventure through some of opera’s most memorable scenes and solos.
The performance will mix shining moments of operatic splendour with edgy cabaret-style performance at close range. The artists greet and mingle with the audience on arrival, before they gradually draw them in to a “rehearsal”, sharing the stories of the scenes they will perform. Steadily the stage is transformed by opera performers in magnificent costumes and a splash of theatre magic. Come prepared to enjoy a grand “opera house” environment and favourite characters from operas including Carmen, Madam Butterfly, Rigoletto and Don Giovanni. These characters will appear in unexpected places, singing to a full bodied accompaniment of live piano enhanced by digital and pre-recorded orchestral backing. Featuring popular, lighter pieces to provide plenty of laughter throughout, contrasted with breathtaking and timeless elements of sheer “swoon” and vocal beauty, it will be a musical evening to remember. For the finale of the show the ensemble in glamorous evening dress will perform a selection of popular melodies including one song exclusive to each community pre-selected via a local campaign structured to suit the circumstances of each location.
Director: Lindy Hume
Musical Director: Narelle French
Costumes realised by: Karen Cochet
Performers include: Emily Burke | Bradley Daley | Shaun Brown
1. Lindy Hume – Lindy Hume, is one of Australia’s leading directors, acknowledged internationally for fresh interpretations of a wide variety of repertoire, and for progressive artistic leadership of a number of Australian arts organisations, most recently Sydney Festival (2010-2012) and Perth International Arts Festival (2004-2007). She was Artistic Director of West Australian Opera (1992-96), Victoria State Opera and OzOpera (1996-2001) and is currently the Artistic Director of Opera Queensland. Lindy is recognised as a champion of new Australian work across a range of genres and excellence in regional arts. Her 2010 Sydney Festival won 5 Helpmann Awards from 9 nominations including Best New Australian Work for Smoke & Mirrors (Sydney Festival in partnership with Spiegeltent International).
2. Emily Burke – Vivacious and commanding on the operatic stage, silver toned Emily Burke is a singer from Hobart. In 2002 she continued her language studies in Italy and had much success on the international competition circuit. In 2006 she made her operatic debut singing the role of Gilda in Rigoletto for Opera Australia followed closely by roles with Victorian Opera and Opera Queensland. Emily made her international debut in Tokyo for IFAC as Anna in Nabucco. In 2016, Emily plays the roles of Cio-Cio San in Madama Butterfly, and Berta in The Barber of Seville for Opera Queensland.
3. Bradley Daley – Since making his debut with the English National Opera as Rodolfo in La bohème, Gold Coast based Bradley Daley has worked with numerous international companies. Most recently, in Australia, Bradley has been performing major principal roles with Opera Australia, Opera Queensland, Victorian Opera and State Opera of South Australia. In 2016, he sings Siegmund in Der Ring des Nibelungen for Opera Australia and Pinkerton in Madama Butterfly for Opera Queensland.
4. Shaun Brown – The warm, sonorous tones of local boy Shaun Brown are well known to many, both in Queensland and internationally. Trained here, in England, Germany and Italy, he has sung several memorable roles for Opera Queensland, most recently including Marcello in La bohème, Marullo in Rigoletto and Dr Falke in Die Fledermaus. Shaun has performed in opera, festivals and as a concert soloist from New Zealand to New York. In 2016 Shaun’s engagements with OperaQ include the title role in The Barber of Seville and one of the naughty, cheeky gangsters in Kiss Me, Kate.
5. Narelle French – Narelle French is one of Australia’s most respected and versatile pianists and musicians, specialising in the preparation and accompaniment of vocal and operatic repertoire. She studied at the State Conservatorium of Music, NSW, was awarded the Dame Roma Mitchell Churchill Fellowship (2002) and the Centenary Medal (for Service to Australian Society and the Advancement of Music). Narelle joined Opera Queensland in 1999 following a long-term position on Opera Australia’s senior music staff, where she fulfilled many roles and worked closely with well-known international and Australian soloists, ensemble singers and Young Artists. She relocated to Brisbane in 1999 to join Opera Queensland and has been in the role of Head of Music since 2001.
DURATION Approximately 1 hour 45 minutes, with a 20 minute interval (subject to change without notice)
$85.00 – Exclusive VIP Experience – LIMITED SPACE AVAILABLE
– Complimentary drink on arrival
– Buffet dinner with special guest speaker from Opera Queensland from 5:30pm
– The best seats in the Playhouse
$55.00 – Full Price
$49.00 – Concession* (ID Required)
$49.00 – Per Person Group 6+
Valid concession cards for this performance include:-
Blue Government Pension • Dept of Veteran Affairs • Seniors & Seniors Business Discount Cards
• Health Care cards will not be accepted as a valid concession.
A Night with Opera Queensland
Tuesday 29 August
The Events Centre, Caloundra
All Sunshine Coast events, gigs, functions etc... onsite are correct as per information provided at time of uploading, please always verify times or dates directly with the venues to avoid disappointment.
This property has been added to your save list now.
Don't have registration yet ? "Create Account"
If you have lost / forgotten your password click: "Lost Password"
NOTE: This login is to manage your real estate alerts/preferences and not to register your business details for the directory. To submit Sunshine Coast Business data please visit here.