Engaging showmanship, well before and beyond the box
Let your imagination run wild as a group of top Melbourne Theatre Company and Australian screen actors recreate the pre-television days using recently rediscovered radio scripts by Agatha Christie.
Agatha Christie was an English crime fiction writer. She also wrote romances under the name Mary Westmacott, but is chiefly remembered for her 78 detective novels. Her work with these novels, particularly featuring detectives Hercule Poirot or Miss Marple, have given her the title the 'Queen of Crime' and made her one of the most important and innovative writers in the development of the genre.
The Lux Radio Theatre actors play a wide range of roles, perform the soap commercials and do the live sound effects as actors did during live audience broadcasts generations ago.
The show features Beverley Dunn, a veteran of radio, who has also been appearing with the Melbourne Theatre Company since its inception. Also in the cast is Simon Russell, a regular on the "Thank God you're Here" television series, Knockabout Theatre Company founder Rosalind Mackay and two TDK/National Library Audio Book Award winners James Wright and Jenny Seedsman.
Director Don Mackay recently staged national tours of The Carer with the late Bud Tingwell and The Book Club with Amanda Muggleton. He produced television and ABC radio drama and was Executive Director of the Victorian Arts Council (now RAV).
"Audiences really enjoy being in on the joke" director Don Mackay says "the actors run on gravel, blow train whistles and suggest all kinds of unlikely locations while acting vigorously in front of a microphone. Dame Agatha still has a big following and these radio plays are every bit as intriguing as her recently revived Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot stories on television."
Saturday June 19 1.00pm & 5.00pm - $38 $30* The Events Centre, Caloundra
Sunday June 20 1.00pm & 5.00pm $38 $30* The Events Centre, Caloundra
Monday June 21 4.30pm & 8.00pm $38 $30* The J, Noosa Heads Additional performances (subject to demand)
Wednesday June 23 1.00pm & 5.00pm $38 $30* The Events Centre, Caloundra
Duration: 2 hours with interval
*Concessions: Pensioner/Students (card must be presented)
Some other 2010 Noosa Longweekend festival highlights include --
* the world-premiere-preview of David Williamson's latest play Rhinestone Rex and Miss Monica starring Georgie Parker and the world premiere of the new children's play, Hurry Up and Wait as presented by the Queensland Theatre Company in association with deBASE productions; a showcase of 'award winning'-one-act plays; Acrobatica's gravity-defying physical theatre; and, Agatha Christie Radio Mysteries performed on stage.
* two, exclusive, Australian performances entitled International Stars of Ballet as performed by seven members of the San Francisco Ballet.
* musical performances including Australia's own Tom Burlinson in Frank a Life in Song; cabaret and supper club performances with Caroline O'Connor, Caroline Nin, Carita Farrer, Blossom Goodchild, Elizabeth Cousemaker, Tom Sharah and Australian musical theatre legend Toni Lamond; the Dame Joan Sutherland (opera) awards; a return festival appearance by guitar maestros Slava and Leonard Grigoryan accompanied by James and Joseph Tawadros as Band of Brothers; the So-la Voce Chamber Choir; a Japanese piano recital; Virginia Gay, and local bands, The Vitals and Dva.
* a celebration of short films and a Slow Food with Film event with food prepared by leading local chefs; the now famous progressive food events hosted by top restaurants in Noosa and the Sunshine Coast hinterland including a Seafood Saunter, Hinterland Gourmet Safari, Beachside Promenade and the traditional festival favourite, the Duck Waddle.
* literary events featuring everyone's favourite gardener Don Burke, Ita Buttrose, politician and pharmacist Terry White, social commentator Karen Brooks, high profile journalists and authors such as Paul Kelly, Margaret Simons and Anne Summers and sportswriter Mike Colman; the writers who inspired Underbelly, John Silvester and Andrew Rule; animal behavioural specialist Dr Paul McGreevy; author and former journalist Iola Mathews; former pop star and author Michael White; University lecturer and sci-fi buff, Gregory Nash; and, Dr Karen Hitchcock -- medic and super mum.
* celebrity lunches featuring comedian and author Tim Ferguson, celebrity chef Kylie Kwong, Ita Buttrose, Australian cabaret sensation Toni Lamond and a celebrity breakfast with Andrew Ettingshausen (ET).
* a full day children's festival.
* engaging and insightful forums exploring topics such as: China, Should we be worried?; America, in decline?; The changing media game and internet journalism; Barrie Cassidy and the Insider's take on politics, Griffith REVIEW's Food chain sustainability and 30 years of State of Origin. Forum participants include Julianne Schultz, Mark Scott, Eric Beecher, Margaret Simons, Dr Don Russell, Dr Michael Fullilove, Paul Kelly, Peter Hartcher, Peter Thompson, Warwick Smith, Geremie Barme, Saul Eslake, Fran Kelly, Steve Renouf, Kerrod Walters, Mick Hancock and Martin Lang.
* workshops featuring Bollywood dancing, African drumming and singing, Japanese puppet making, drama improvisation, Commedia dell Arte and a full day, comedy writing master course with Tim Ferguson
The full festival program can be viewed on line at www.noosalongweekend.com. Printed versions are available by phoning the festival office on (07) 5474 9941.
Downloadable: "2010 Noosa Longweekend Festival" pdf
TICKET SALES AND FESTIVAL PROGRAMS
* Tickets for all festival events will go on sale from 10am, May 4. Visit www.noosalongweekend.com for details.
* Tickets for Noosa events will be on sale at The J Box office phone (07) 5455 4455 or online at www.thej.com.au
* Tickets for Caloundra events will be on sale at The Events Centre, Caloundra phone (07) 5491 4240 or online www.etixdirect.com.au
* Ticket prices range from FREE admission to $185 (for a 'Blue Ribbon dinner and cabaret event')
* Interested parties are encouraged to register to receive festival news, updates and special offers on The Noosa Longweekend Festival website - www.noosalongweekend.com
* Special festival accommodation packages are available. Visit www.noosalongweekend.com for details.
The Events Centre, Caloundra
All Sunshine Coast events, gigs, functions etc... onsite are correct as per information provided at time of uploading, please always verify times or dates directly with the venues to avoid disappointment.
This property has been added to your save list now.
Don't have registration yet ? "Create Account"
If you have lost / forgotten your password click: "Lost Password"
NOTE: This login is to manage your real estate alerts/preferences and not to register your business details for the directory. To submit Sunshine Coast Business data please visit here.