One of the most diverse collections of art seen on the Sunshine Coast will be auctioned at the Cooroy Butter Factory to raise funds for the Save the Mary campaign on 31 March.
The auction is just one of the projects organised by Artists Saving Mary, a collective of artists and arts supporters who have joined forces to lend their talents, time and expertise to help save the Mary River.
Bernice Childs, who has been coordinating the group's projects, said the response to the fundraising auction had been overwhelming. "Artists and art collectors have been extremely generous in donating works for auction. We have works from local and national artists - several of whom have international reputations and are represented in significant collections."
Examples of the art offered for auction include two paintings by Aboriginal artists, Dr George Tjapaltjarri and Kuddtji Tjungurrayi .
Dr George has gained his name because of his role as a 'maparn' traditional healer. He emerged from the desert in 1964, where he had led a traditional nomadic life. Since then he has continued a traditional life, moving between the communities of Kiwirrkurra and Kintore. Dr George has been an active artist since the early 1980s and paints two specific dreamings, the Tingari cycle and Snake dreaming. His work is held in a number of public and private collections, including several major state galleries.
Kuddtji Tjungurrayi is the younger brother of world-renowned artist, Emily Kamekngwarreye and is a fully initiated elder from 'Boundary Bore', in Utopia N.T. Although believed to be almost 80 yrs old, Kuddtji only took up painting in his later years. His work has been exhibited across Australia in Hobart, Fremantle, Sydney & Eumundi as well as in Europe - Vienna especially is home to many Kuddtji artworks. His works have been sold through Sotheby's Auction houses and are hung in Art Museums and Collections worldwide.
The local artists saving Mary by donating works for auction include ceramists, photographers, sculptors, printmakers, painters and designers. Some highly sought after artwork donated from private collections include 'Out of Alice' mixed media, collage on paper by Jenny Sages (winner Wynne prize Art Gallery NSW 1999, 2005) and 'Beach Tracks' finely detailed pen and wash watercolour by David Voight, Sydney, 1991.
All works will be on display at the Cooroy Butter Factory from Saturday 24 March, for auction at the Butter Factory on Saturday 31 March.
Auction starts 4pm sharp
Saturday March 31 3007
1. Postle Greg, Clearlight Rainbow, Bee-Eater Unframed print, 46x34cm
2. Dobson Norman, Stoneware, 34cm diameter
3. Pugh Jenny, Limited edition print, 1100x780cm
4. Gall Maggie, Looking down the Valley, Unframed acrylic painting, 50x60cm
5. G Gregory after Neville Cayley, A Pair of Wonga Pigeons, Framed watercolour, 75x90cm
6. Student of Neville Cayley, A Pair of Black Ducks, Watercolour, framed 75x90cm
7. Gall Keith, Mary with Child, Bronze sculpture, 30x14cm
8. Merry Thel, "If You Say So Ethel", Oil on stretched canvas, 80x40cm
9. Bell Gabby, Bewildered Catfish, Mid-fired ceramic & coated wire, 35cm long
10. Merry Thel, Red Fantasy, Oil on stretched canvas, 61x61cm
11. Bright Viv, Cormorant, Pastel on paper, framed, 48.5x61cm
12. Knightley Michele, Banksias, Oil on stretched canvas, 51x76.5cm
13. Forster Carol, Shipwreck View, Hand built clay with copper soda glaze, computer generated image encased in resin, 42x24cm
14. Halter-Nagel Trudy, Gladiolas, Oil on board, 98x108cm
15. Halter-Nagel Trudy, Girl at Work, Oil on board, 46x46cm
16. Halter-Nagel Trudy, Flowers in Green Vase, Oil on board, 46x46cm
17. Halter-Nagel Trudy, Lady with Red Hair, Oil on board, 38x38cm
18. Voight David, Beach Tracks, Finely detailed pen and wash watercolour, 58x66cm
19. Sages Jenny, Out of Alice, Mixed Media, collage on paper, 69x66cm.
20. Fulcher Max, Yellow Cattleya Orchid, Framed print, 54x44cm
21. Fulcher Max, Indigenous Fraser Island Creeper, Framed print, 54x44cm
22. Kehr Birgit, Untitled, Framed photograph, 62.5x47.5cm
23. Kari, Offering Bowl to Land, stoneware 16x25cm
24. Mitchell Sarah, Pity the Lungs of Mary, Drypoint on paper, 73x29cm
25. Strano Shirley, Old Suburb & Windows, Collograph on rag paper, 42x29cm
26. Tjungurrayi Kuddtji, My Country - Yam Dreaming, Framed, 95x33cm
27. Palmer Warren, Bit of a Dance, Drawing on paper, unframed A1
28. Tjapaltjarri George, Untitled,Tryptic, each panel 63x38cm
29. Dobson Norman, Estuary Stoneware, 33cm square
30. Postle Greg, Crossed Wires Superb Wrens, Unframed print, 28x75cm
31. Postle Greg, Cozy Companions, Zebra Finches, unframed print, 56x41cm
32. Dunn Petra, Untitled, Sterling silver, malachite, and onyx necklace, circumference 52cm
33. Arnold Karen, Potters Wheel, decorated, functional potters wheel
34. Diprose Beth, Flowing Free, Framed acrylic, 45x34cm
35. Merry Thel, Us and Them, Oil on stretched canvas, 80x40cm
36. Roberts Stephen, Woodfired Vase, stoneware 26x10cm
37. Porigneaux Andre, Basket, Multiple-fired in Ogama, applied and natural glaze, 8x17x22cm
38. Poole Stephen, Rainforest Reflections, Signed photograph, limited edition, 81x64cm
39. Makeig Jason, Glass of Mary, Leadlight wall hanging, 30x70cm
40. Strano Shirley, Old Gardens, Linocut with hand colouring and collage on rag paper, 65x45cm
41. Schlunke Elli, Chicken Dancer, number 22 Painting, 30x25cm
42. Suttie Amy, Sunset over Hinterland I, Acrylic on stretched canvas, 30x30cm
43. Suttie Amy, Sunset over Hinterland II, Acrylic on stretched canvas, 30x30cm
44. Southwell Chris, Forest Fringe, Oil on canvas, 90x60cm
45. Waugh Rachel, Large bowl, Stoneware. 20x46cm
46. Webb Ellie, Untitled, Stained glass window
47. Poole Stephen, Cedar Creek, Signed photograph, limited edition, 81x64cm
48. Dittrich Ute, Catchments, Stoneware ceramic sculpture, 35x28cm
49. Grealy Kevin, Porcelain Bottle with Wisteria, 1280º C woodfired porcelain, 51x11cm
50. Ciavarella Michael, Dam Dreaming, Acrylic 150x60cm
51. Skett Mo, Gallery Poinciana, Acrylic, 65x95cm
52. McCrea Lyn, Mary ponders... Mixed media, 50x65cm
53. Gibson Sharon, Venice Afternoon, framed watercolour
54. White Marcia, Untitled, Acrylic on canvas, 55x45cm
This auction is just one of the projects organised by Artists Saving Mary, a collective of artists and arts supporters who have joined forces to lend their talents, time and expertise to help save the Mary River.
All Works on display at the Cooroy Butter Factory from Saturday 24 March, 2007
Art auction to Save the Mary River
ONE of the most diverse collections of art seen on the Sunshine Coast will be auctioned at the Cooroy Butter Factory to raise funds for the Save the Mary River campaign on March 31.
Examples of the art offered for auction include two paintings by world -renowned Aboriginal artists, Dr George Tjapaltjarri and Kuddtji Tjungurrayi. Numerous artists and collectors throughout the Sunshine Coast and Mary Valley have also contributed works.
"Out of Alice", a mixed media collage on paper by artist Jenny Sages (winner of the Wynne Prize New South Wales 1999 and 2005) is another featured work in the auction.
Sages is an Australian artist who was born in Shanghai, China in 1933. She has received numerous accolades for her work, including a highly commended for the Archibald Prize in both 2001 and 2003.
Beerburrum artist Kevin Grealey, whose work is in collections at the Australian National Gallery, Canberra, The Queensland Art Gallery as well as numerous public collections in China, has donated "Porcelain Bottle with Wisteria", an elegant piece woodfired to 1280 degrees C.
Gympie artists Mo Skett and Ellie Webb have also donated works to the auction.
Skett's "Gallery Poinciana" will be on offer in the silent auction, and Webb's framed leadlight window "Green Tree Frogs" will be one of two glass pieces in the live auction.
Buyers will have more than 64 works to choose from, representing all of the artistic disciplines.
All funds raised will be donated to the Save the Mary River Coordinating Group to keep the Mary River flowing forever and to fight the proposal to build the Traveston Crossing Dam.
For a complete list of contributing artists and additional images contact Tricia Roth at firstname.lastname@example.org
or on 5485 5028.
All artworks will be on display at the Cooroy Butter Factory from March 24, for auction at the factory on March 31.
Celebrating Mary activities begin at 1pm culminating in the live auction at 5:30pm.