With the likelihood of severe storm cells occurring over the next week, Sunshine Coast Council has made the decision not to hold Carols at Kings and Carols at Cotton Tree outdoors this year.
Acting Mayor Tim Dwyer said safety for the community and staff is paramount and following advice from the SES, Bureau of Meteorology and Police, council's community carols events will be held in alternate wet weather venues.
"We have acted quickly to secure alternative venues for this weekend's community carol events to ensure the events will take place in a safe, fun, family friendly environment," Cr Dwyer said.
Please note, due to limited seating at the indoor venues, attendees will need to book their free tickets in advance. See below for further details.
Carols at Cotton Tree
* Date: Saturday 18 December from 6.30pm -- doors open at 5.30pm.
* Venue change: Lake Kawana Community Centre
* Seating: As seating is limited -- this free community event is now ticketed and limited to 750 patrons. Tickets will be available from the venue on Saturday 18 December from 8am until 'sold out'. Tickets available on a first come, first served basis. Call 5413 1400 from 8am.
* Program: unchanged -- with the exception of no fireworks - refer to council's website for details.
Carols on Kings
* Date: Sunday 19 December from 6.30pm -- doors open at 5.30pm.
* Venue change: The Events Centre Caloundra
* Seating: As seating is limited -- this free community event is now ticketed and limited to 1000 patrons.
* Free tickets will be available on line at www.theeventscentre.com or from the venue on Saturday 18 December from 8am -- on 5491 4240. Tickets available on a first come, first served basis.
* Shuttle bus service will continue from the transit centre to the events centre.
* Program: unchanged -- with the exception of no fireworks -- refer to council's website for details.
For more information: www.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au or call 5475 7272
Sunshine Coast Regional Council
17 December 2010
No singing in the rain for Carols this year
Free event featuring Opera Soloist Donald Cant, Corporal Simone Dew and The Boogie Woogies Superhero Band (further event artists/performers are yet to be confirmed).
A great fireworks display at the conclusion of the event.
Carols is an alcohol and glass-free event, however please feel free to bring along a blanket and picnic basket.
Food and drinks will be available for purchase.
Roving entertainment begins at 5:30 pm, with fun for the whole family.
Road closures will be between 1:00 am -- 11:00 pm:
* Closure 1: De Vene Avenue (South of roundabout)
* Closure 2: Burgess Street car park
* Closure 3: Edmund Street car park
* Closure 4: Ormond Terrace closed from 7:00 am -- 10:00p m for fireworks display.
Traffic snarls should be averted, with all rights to park at the Ampitheatre temporarily removed from midnight, Saturday 18 December, 2010.
Free parking has been organised at both the Transit Centre in Cooma Terrae and in Queen Street near the Caloundra State High School. A shuttle bus will run continually from 3:30 pm until 9:30 pm with stops at the Transit Centre in Cooma Terrace, Kings Beach Ampitheatre and Queen Street (in front of the high school).
Please note the shuttle bus service and parking is free of charge.
The temporoary road closures will allow a safe environment for residents and visitors to enjoy the event. For safety reasons, vehicle access to the area will only be granted to event providers and emergency vehicles during road closure times. Detour signs will be in place to guide motorists. If at all possible, please avoid driving in this area.
Christmas Carols is an outdoor event, so please be aware there will be amplified music between 4:30 pm and 9:00 pm.
6.30 pm to 8.30 pm, Sunday 19 December 2010
Kings Beach Ampitheatre, Kings Beach Park, Caloundra
The Events Centre, Caloundra
All Sunshine Coast events, gigs, functions etc... onsite are correct as per information provided at time of uploading, please always verify times or dates directly with the venues to avoid disappointment.
This property has been added to your save list now.