Coolum is back in business
Both sides of Coolum's David Low Way will come alive on December 11 as the town celebrates a return to normal trading with the first ever Coolum Fiesta.
Residents and tourists have endured over 12 months of construction with Watpac's major retail development and Coolum Beach Surf Lifesaving Club's renovations directly opposite each other at the town's main entrance point.
The wait for new footpaths, essential extra parking and 21 new retail tenancies will soon be over as the Coolum Business and Tourism Association presents the Coolum Fiesta -- a celebration of the regaining of public space in front of Watpac's new development.
The afternoon's events will include the opening of a new shelter at Pt. Perry by Cr Vivien Griffin, and culminate in an exciting 'switching on' of the new Coolum Christmas tree lights at 7:00pm.
"The Coolum Fiesta is a wonderful opportunity for the people of Coolum to celebrate regaining their public realm, lost to them for so many months," said Cr Vivien Griffin.
"I hope it encourages many more such events of life, energy, creativity and colour, because that is truly what Coolum is all about."
Visitors to the event are being encouraged to bring a present to drop into the box for the Lions Emergency Accommodation Centre, a charity that helps victims of domestic abuse.
downloadable: "Coolum Fiesta Program of Events" pdf
What's on for the day
Retail Precinct -- David Low Way
* 3:00pm - Watpac official opening and invitational afternoon tea
* From 3:30pm - The precinct celebrates in style with roving entertainers, face painting, Sausage sizzles, opening trader specials, Pantastic Steel band, Cool Harmonies, Great Scott Comedy Circus, Donna the Christmas Fairy, massaging station etc.
* 4:00pm - Lions Twilight markets begin in Tickle Park
* 4.15pm - Follow the Piper up to Pt Perry for the official opening of the new shelter by Cr Vivien Griffin. Refreshment and fun for the kids.
* 6:00pm - Retail Precinct -- Surprise visitor arrives for the kids. Coolum Beach SLSC BBQ near the main beach entrance.
Christmas Tree - Boardwalk
* 6:15pm - Follow the Piper and 'Miss Donna the Christmas Fairy' to the Coolum Christmas Tree, at the start of the Boardwalk for carols by the Coolum Primary School Choir. Cr Vivien Griffin and President of Coolum Business and Tourism Association Inc, Judy Osborne will 'plug in' the Christmas Lights in a thrilling display. MP Fiona Simpson sings a final carol with the Primary School Choir to close the event.
Retail Precinct, Tickle Park, Pt Perry, Boardwalk, Coolum Beach
All Sunshine Coast events, gigs, functions etc... onsite are correct as per information provided at time of uploading, please always verify times or dates directly with the venues to avoid disappointment.
This property has been added to your save list now.