Draft Master Plan for Cooroy Lower Mill Site 19/05/2006
The draft Master Plan for the Cooroy Lower Mill Site is now available for community comment.
Cooroy Lower Mill Board spokesperson, Seb Vecchio, said today that the document details options to guide the development of Cooroy's Lower Mill site as well as the Butter Factory precinct.
"This draft Master Plan builds on the Board's vision for the land that was given to the people of Cooroy, as part of the compensation for the Mill closure resulting from the Regional Forests Agreement, " explained Mr Vecchio.
"Our vision was that the Mill site and the adjacent Butter Factory precinct could be developed for a variety of creative community and commercial uses that mirror Cooroy's history, culture, arts and economy."
The draft Master Plan is underpinned by the Board's 'Design for Living' concept, which reflects and respects Cooroy's rural town character.
The draft Master Plan outlines a number of possible precincts including :
• Cooroy Town Square - a new public place for Cooroy surrounded by the landmark architecture of the Butter Factory, a Hinterland Library and active community shopfronts;
• Design for Living Centre - showcasing small scale production of crafts and fine goods;
• Design for Living Enterprises - providing premises for light manufacturing such as the Camphor Laurel project;
• Green Belt - preserving the riparian areas of Cooroy Creek, providing recreation spaces and showcasing Cooroy's timber heritage;
• Maximisation of the use of flood free areas of the site (given the flood prone nature of much of the land). Restoration of vegetation along Cooroy Creek is also given priority.
"The proposed options all contribute to a combination of creative, recreational and educational spaces and places, while delivering some commercial benefits to the town," said Mr Vecchio.
"We look forward to community feedback to the draft so we can then finalise the Master Plan and begin to develop this vital enhancement of Cooroy's heart."
Submissions on the draft Master Plan should be delivered in writing by June 23rd. The Draft Master Plan for Cooroy Lower Mill Site will be on public display from May 29th to June 23rd at :
• the Butter Factory
• the Mobile Library
• Noosa Council offices, Pelican Street, Tewantin
• the Board's website http://www.noosa.qld.gov.au/index475.php.
The Board's consultants will be at the Memorial Hall, in Maple Street, Cooroy, on Friday, June 9th from 10 am to 7 pm to answer any questions on the draft Master Plan. For further information, please contact Lin Martin on 0417 711 624.
Memorial Hall, Cooroy, Not Assigned
All Sunshine Coast events, gigs, functions etc... onsite are correct as per information provided at time of uploading, please always verify times or dates directly with the venues to avoid disappointment.
This property has been added to your save list now.