Once Australia’s loyalty was to the British Empire. Then we aligned with the United States. Pax Americana has been good for us, but what of the future?
We’ve agreed to an expanded US military presence here. While small, how does China view this? Do the Chinese see this as symbolic, a recognition of history?
Alignment with the US or China is a challenging issue for Australia, and the questions this raises are many and complex. Can we keep China as our biggest trading partner while remaining close and comfortable with America? Do we have to make a choice? Or indeed through our links with both, can we broker an outcome where each plays a significant role in our region, yet neither is dominant – a Pax Pacifica?
Peter Hartcher, the Sydney Morning Herald’s Political and International editor. He was the Financial Review’s Asia-Pacific Editor for five years, and US correspondent for three years.
Dr Paul Monk, a founder of Austhink Consulting, polymath and public intellectual who was head of China analysis at the Defence Intelligence Organisation.
Professor Alan Dupont has worked on Australian defence and Asian security issues for more than 30 years as a strategist, diplomat, policy analyst and scholar.
Rory Medcalf, former diplomat and senior analyst for the Office of National Assessments, and now Program Director for International Security at the Lowy Institute.
Paul Barclay of Radio National’s Big Issues program will probe these and other questions with the panelists.
Forum - Caught Between Giants: China and the USA
Date: Saturday 16 June
Venue: Outrigger Little Hastings Street, Resort and Spa
Duration: 90 minutes
Additional Information: Special Dinner Offer for Forum ticket purchasers – see full details page 26 of the Noosa Longweekend Program.
The Noosa Longweekend Festival, 15-24 June 2012
Over 80 cultural events staged over 10 days and nights.
Full 2012 Noosa Longweekend Festival Program available on http://www.noosalongweekend.com/downloads/2012-NLW-program.pdf
• The 11th Noosa Longweekend Festival will be staged from Friday 15 -Sunday 24 June 2012
• The festival comprises 10 days (and nights) of music, theatre, dance, literature, forums, film, food, visual arts and workshops staged at various venues in the iconic, beachside village and surrounding hinterland of Noosa, Queensland
• Full festival program announced Thursday 3 May. Tickets on sale Tuesday 8 May
• Over 80 ticketed and non-ticketed events will be on offer. Free events include heritage walks, photographic exhibitions, a children’s workshop and roving entertainment
• Tickets can be purchased at www.noosalongweekend.com or from The J Box office (in person, by phone (07) 5455 4455 or online at www.thej.com.au)
• In excess of 10,000 tickets will be on sale
• Featuring the crème de la crème of local, national and international artists - in excess of 170 Artists, authors and guest speakers will participate in the 2012 Festival
• Visit www.noosalongweekend.com to keep up with festival news, program and ticketing information
Outrigger Little Hastings Street, Resort and Spa, Noosa Heads
All Sunshine Coast events, gigs, functions etc... onsite are correct as per information provided at time of uploading, please always verify times or dates directly with the venues to avoid disappointment.
This property has been added to your save list now.