For Noosa Longweekend purposes let’s just say it was a combination of economic, financial, regulatory and supervisory inadequacies – even failures – in the world’s largest economy.
As well, there are accusations of fraudulent securities behaviour, some of which are being tested in Australian courts. The problems these caused only became apparent as the USA’s real estate bubble collapsed. What are the lessons from the worst financial catastrophe since the Great Depression? The Longweekend has enlisted four experts to tell us what they learned, and what should be done.
Warwick McKibbin is Director of the Research School of Economics at the ANU, and a Research Fellow at the Brookings Institute in Washington DC. As a Director of the Reserve Bank of Australia for a decade, including during the GFC, few are better placed to comment on the GFC, its causes and lessons.
Satyajit Das is the author of 16 books, including a 4,200-page tome described as “the bible on financial derivatives”. He is a consultant to financial institutions and corporations in North America, Asia and Australia, and a highly respected commentator.
Riccardo Briganti has more than 20 years’ experience in the economics and finance sector, and is Head of Research for Macquarie Private Wealth.
Karen Mayley contributes to the online newsletter Business Spectator, writing extensively on Greece’s debt problems, President Obama’s regulatory response to the GFC, and other GFC issues.
Paul Barclay from Radio National’s Big Ideas will bring the diverse thoughts of these experts together.
Forum - The GFC: What are its lessons? Is anyone really listening?
Date: Friday 22 June
Venue: Outrigger Little Hastings Street, Resort and Spa
Duration: 90 minutes
Additional Information: Early Dinner Offer for Forum ticket purchasers – see full details page 26 fo the Noosa Longweekend program.
The Noosa Longweekend Festival, 15-24 June 2012
Over 80 cultural events staged over 10 days and nights.
Full 2012 Noosa Longweekend Festival Program available on http://www.noosalongweekend.com/downloads/2012-NLW-program.pdf
• The 11th Noosa Longweekend Festival will be staged from Friday 15 -Sunday 24 June 2012
• The festival comprises 10 days (and nights) of music, theatre, dance, literature, forums, film, food, visual arts and workshops staged at various venues in the iconic, beachside village and surrounding hinterland of Noosa, Queensland
• Full festival program announced Thursday 3 May. Tickets on sale Tuesday 8 May
• Over 80 ticketed and non-ticketed events will be on offer. Free events include heritage walks, photographic exhibitions, a children’s workshop and roving entertainment
• Tickets can be purchased at www.noosalongweekend.com or from The J Box office (in person, by phone (07) 5455 4455 or online at www.thej.com.au)
• In excess of 10,000 tickets will be on sale
• Featuring the crème de la crème of local, national and international artists - in excess of 170 Artists, authors and guest speakers will participate in the 2012 Festival
• Visit www.noosalongweekend.com to keep up with festival news, program and ticketing information
Outrigger Little Hastings Street, Resort and Spa, Noosa Heads
All Sunshine Coast events, gigs, functions etc... onsite are correct as per information provided at time of uploading, please always verify times or dates directly with the venues to avoid disappointment.
This property has been added to your save list now.
Don't have registration yet ? "Create Account"
If you have lost / forgotten your password click: "Lost Password"
NOTE: This login is to manage your real estate alerts/preferences and not to register your business details for the directory. To submit Sunshine Coast Business data please visit here.