Laughter always is the best of medicines and the Noosa Respite Centre's two support groups for those angelic people called carers will be combining on Tuesday, July 18th to present a free one-hour Laughter Workshop, in the grounds of the Centre at Wallace Park, off the Eumundi/Gibson Road roundabout in Noosaville.
Centre Manager Sister Helene Tedford R.N. schedules carer support group meetings on the third Tuesday of each month. One is for the carers of younger people, meeting from 9.30 to 11.30 am. The other, targeting carers of older adults, meets between 1.30 and 3.30 pm. Both groups offer support, information sharing and friendship and are attended alternately by Sister Tedford or a representative from Carers Queensland .
"Workshop wonderwoman Susan Brown tells me adults have forgotten how to laugh. Evidently in the 1950s people used to chortle away for 18 minutes a day and now that has reduced to a measly six minutes a day, despite huge rises in living standards.
"Psychologists reckon that even a minute of forced laughter can chase away the blues. Carers are enormously special people who deserve every possible minute of mirth. All carers of Noosa Shire are invited to join us at around 9.30 on July 18th for a 10 am laugh start. RSVPs to 5449 0931 would be appreciated, to help with catering, but we understand that some carers cannot plan far ahead and would love to see them just turn up on the day."
Doubting Thomases should read the following ten good reasons to laugh for no reason :
• Laughter is a stress buster.
• Laughter strengthens the immune system.
• Laughter helps to maintain good health.
• Laughter is anti-aging. It increases blood supply to the face.
• Laughter increases the levels of endorphins - the body's natural pain killers.
• Laughter helps to control high blood pressure and heart disease by reducing the release of stress-related hormones.
• Laughter reduces depression and anxiety.
• Laughter elasticises our lungs for increased energy.
• Laughter defuses anger.
• Laughter boosts self-confidence.