Friday 10 March 2006 Get on your bike for Ride to Work Day
Join the ride! Have fun, keep fit and reduce greenhouse gas emissions with Caloundra City's Ride to Work Day event on Tuesday March 21.
Instigated in Caloundra by Division five Councillor Gordon Wallace, a keen cyclist, Ride to Work Day is part of Bicycle Queensland's Bike Week celebrations.
"The theme of Bike Week this year is 'cycle instead' and Ride to Work Day is a great opportunity to meet new people, get active and help reduce pollution by leaving the car at home," Cr Wallace said.
The planned ride includes 14 starting points between Minyama and Golden Beach and will culminate with a free community breakfast at Felicity Park, Omrah Avenue, Caloundra.
Prizes, including a $500 bike, will be drawn at the breakfast.
"Council actively promotes a healthy lifestyle for residents and runs a number of programs encouraging people to get active - this is another fantastic opportunity to encourage health and wellbeing and I hope it leads to more people riding to work on a daily basis," Cr Wallace said.
"I am aware that some people are unable to ride to work and I encourage motorists to be courteous and share the roads - a small price to pay for helping create a cleaner, healthier community."
The event is sponsored by Caloundra City Council, Bicycle Queensland, Queensland Transport, Maleny Dairies and Coast Cyclery.
For more information contact Councillor Gordon Wallace on 5420 8965.
RIDE TO WORK START LOCATIONS:
• Blue Olive Restaurant, 66 Jessica Blvd, Minyama. Meet John and Tony for 6:15am start.
• La Balsa Park (at the northern end of the park), Harbour Pde, Buddina. Meet Ray for 6:30am start.
• Coast Cyclery, shop 3/265 Nicklin Way, Warana. Meet Garry for 6:30am start.
• Moondara Park, Moondara Dr, Wurtulla Meet Noel for 7am start.
• Stocklands Office (Cnr of Regatta Blv) Nicklin Way, Wurtulla. Meet Ashley for 6:45am start.
• Creekside Blvd Bridge, Currimundi. Meet Barry for 6:45am start.
• Currimundi Marketplace (McDonald's car park), Cnr Nicklin Way and Bellcara Dr, Currimundi. Meet Cr Danny O'Kearney for 6.45am start.
• Dicky Beach Shops, Beerburrum St, Caloundra. Meet Paul for 7am start.
• Moffat Beach Shops, Buccleugh St , Moffat Beach. Meet Ben for 7am start.
• IGA, Cnr Latcham Dr and Caloundra Rd, Little Mountain. Meet Brian for 7am start.
• Pierce Avenue, Cnr Caloundra Rd, Little Mountain. Meet Phil for 6:45am start.
• Spin City Cycles, Cnr of Bowman Rd and Park St, Caloundra. Meet Mick for 7:15am start.
• Pelican Waters Tavern13 Pelican Waters Blvd, Pelican Waters. Meet Gerhard for 7am start.
• Golden Beach Shops, Landsborough Pde, Golden Beach. Meet Cr Greg Singh for 7am start.
• Prunus Place, Cnr Prunus Place and Sugarwood Street, Aroona. Meet Mayor, Don Aldous for 7am start.
Various Caloundra Locations, Not Assigned
All Sunshine Coast events, gigs, functions etc... onsite are correct as per information provided at time of uploading, please always verify times or dates directly with the venues to avoid disappointment.
This property has been added to your save list now.