This is an archived copy of an event that has already passed. It is online for informational purposes only.
Sunshine Coast Wide0 Queensland
Unlike some cancers, there is no cure for kidney disease. Most people have no idea they have the disease or symptoms underlying it. Once diagnosed, the ravages of the disease are managed with the expert help of general practitioners and a vast range of kidney specialists and ultimately renal nursing staff when confronted with treatment by dialysis.
A few disturbing facts:
• In Australia, more people die from kidney disease than breast and prostrate cancer
• In Australia, more people die from kidney disease than those killed on our roads
• In Australia, One in 3 Gen Y’s will contract diabetes which will lead to kidney disease
• One in seven Australians has early Chronic Kidney Disease
• One in three Australians are at increased risk of kidney disease
• Approximately 1.7 million Australians may be affected by early-stage kidney disease and don't know it
• 11.3% of all deaths in Australia are due to, or associated with, kidney failure
• Chronic Kidney Disease occurs when the kidney is damaged, decreasing its ability to clean waste from the blood and balance fluid and mineral levels
• The incidence of kidney failure rises sharply with age and the Australian population is ageing
Every day 5 Australians start dialysis or receive kidney transplants to stay alive?
Are you at risk? Want to find out more? Most people have no idea they kidney disease until it’s too late.
Kidney Support Network is Queensland’s leading provider of support services to families who are suffering the affects of kidney disease. Our wide range of services is supported by volunteers who also drive patients to dialysis, serve in our OP Shops, fund raise and visit patients in hospital.
Kidney Awareness Week runs from 14th to 19th October. To find out more we invite you to come along and visit our displays at Sunshine Plaza, the University of the Sunshine Coast and Nambour General Hospital during that week.
To find out more about Kidney Awareness Week or to find out how you can join the Kidney Support Network team of volunteers today call 5441 5211 and receive our volunteer’s information pack. That’s 5441 5211.
Kidney Support Network – Supporting Kidney Patients across the Sunshine Coast.
Kidney Awareness Week
Sunshine Coast University, Nambour Hospital, Sunshine Plaza
15/10/2012 - 19/10/2012
9.00 AM - 4.00 PM
All Sunshine Coast events, gigs, functions etc... onsite are correct as per information provided at time of uploading, please always verify times or dates directly with the venues to avoid disappointment.
This property has been added to your save list now.