24 November 2004
New life for 1st Nambour Scout Troop den
Formed in 1909, the 1st Nambour Scout Troop operated from various loaned premises for many years. It took quite some time, but with generous community assistance and donations, the Troop was finally able to build a purpose built home - a new den, in 1940.
According to a Nambour Chronicle article, on 6 February 1940 Governor Sir Leslie Wilson, Queensland's chief scout, officially opened the Nambour Scouts' den in Mitchell Street 'with a patriotic address', which was followed by various competitions, scout displays and items from the Maroochy District Band.
Originally located in Mitchell Street, the Hall was scheduled for demolition to make way for the new Lind Lane Theatre. Rescued in the eleventh hour, the Hall was relocated to the Maroochy Showgrounds where it has undergone renovations and is now available for use as a community meeting facility.
Early members of the 1st Nambour Scout Troop will gather tomorrow to participate in the reopening by Division Three Councillor Paul Tatton and recall fond memories of their scouting adventures. The Nambour Historical Museum is helping to set the scene with a display of original scouting memorabilia.
When: Thursday 25 November, 10.00am
Where: Nambour Showgrounds, Coronation Drive, Nambour
For further information contact Maroochy Shire Councillor Paul Tatton on 0407 161 793 or Hayley Martin in Council's Media and Marketing Unit on 0417 600 535.
Maroochy Shire Council
ph: 07 5441 8473 fax: 07 5441 8201
All Sunshine Coast events, gigs, functions etc... onsite are correct as per information provided at time of uploading, please always verify times or dates directly with the venues to avoid disappointment.
This property has been added to your save list now.