reel mad film festival 2005
special guests: Margaret Pomeranz and David Stratton
The most extreme film festival comes to Noosa
Starting Friday 24th June @ 5.00pm
Budding filmmakers are given 24 hours to make a 7 minute movie
All you need is some friends/family and a camera
So what are you waiting for!
It's fast, furious and lots of fun!
Entry forms available from
alfresco @ doonan
$10.00 entry fee
fantastic prizes to be won!
a noosa longweekend event
2005 reelmad film festival www.reelmad.com
REELMAD is the brainchild of a local business who are REELMAD about film!
ALFRESCO; being community minded….. for the past 3 years has been home to Noosa's only outdoor cinema; bringing cult classics to enthralled audiences.
Last year alfresco hosted Noosa's first 24 hour film making competition as a Noosa Long Weekend Fringe event with Rolf de Heer judging and presenting; REELMAD was borne.
2005 REELMAD will incorporate the touring Brisbane International Animators Festival (BIAF) into this year's Noosa Long Weekend Program where audiences will experience a total of 39 contemporary animated short films, representing 14 different countries around the world.
International Children's Animation (G) (Thursday)
Enter a magical world of animation with the International Children's Animation programme where tricycles fall in love and trips can be taken to Mars in a pick-up
Best of biaf5 - Volume 1 (M 15+) (Friday)
Expose yourself to multi-award winning animation from around the world, including Academy Award Nominee Birthday Boy
Best of biaf5 - Volume 2 (R 18+) (Saturday)
Multi -award winning animation with sex, violence and Rock n' Roll…..bring it on!
• Animation is any film created one frame at a time.
• There is a world of difference between an animated film and a cartoon.
• It takes 24 frames to make one second of film. A five-minute film is made up of 7,200 frames.
• Animated films are created using everything from drawn pictures and computer generated images to coloured sands and cutout pieces of
• It is practised by an enormous international community of artists and celebrated at hundreds of festivals.
• Animation as an art form has proved to be the powerhouse for ongoing invention and innovation in industries such as software development, advertising, design and graphic presentation.
• Nothing is impossible in animation. If it can be imagined, it can be brought to life on screen.
There's plenty of funny and cute films spread throughout the program, but at the end of the day, animators are filmmakers and as a group their films reflect the full range of issues and voices that any large group of filmmakers would produce. The difference is that they have an incredibly imaginative medium with which to do it.
Techniques on show are equally diverse.
The myth that the computer has taken over animation is sent packing by the line-up. Animators the world over are still drawing, still making puppets move and still creating wondrous creatures from plasticine. Watercolours, rubber stamps and whole scenes made of cutout cardboard join the traditional techniques in standing side by side with the products of computer hard drives.
The REELMAD film festival will:
• Showcase an extraordinary and diverse range of animated film from around the world
• Profile the work of independent local and international animators
• Create an awareness of animated film art as cultural expression
• Profile a range of film that is associated with innovation, creativity and leading edge ideas
• We guarantee that you will be amazed, inspired and delighted by these films
The BIGGER AND BETTER 'REELMAD 24hr film making competition
Alfresco is the host of the 2005 REELMAD 24 hr film making competition: to be judged by David Stratton & Margaret Pomeranz of the ABC Movie Show.
After last year's great success this year's REELMAD 24 hr film making competition is even bigger and better.
Big Category awards: Festival sponsor Wide Bay Building Society have been joined by some impressive individual award givers.
• Sony Australia is presenting the Best Film and Best Director/Cinematography awards. This is to be video equipment specific to the needs of young film makers to the value of $1000.00
• WHO magazine is giving two $250.00 cash awards for Best Actress and Best Actor.
• Fi Home Entertainment is presenting the Best Sound Award; A quality DVD player valued at over $400.00
• Wide Bay is to presenting the REELMAD 'Encouragement Award' for young first time film makers.
• Alfresco is giving a $200.00 cash award for an 'off the wall' category called The REELMAD 'MAD' award. Given to the daring film maker who steps outside the envelope.
"AND THE ENVELOPE PLEASE!"
This wonderful small film festival has a brand new 'house' to fill and loads of Hollywood glitz. Alfresco has broadened its reach with 200-seat marquee a few metres from what has become an iconic dining and wining garden island of fun. Audience and film makers are invited to join in the madness by dressing in something real 'mad' for this night under and with our emerging film making stars.
With glitter and Hollywood kitsch defining the evening character, along with an ample coating of 'madness', the REELMAD festival pays homage to the glitz of The Academy Awards.
As search lights sweep the sky and a mad Phantom plays the Wurlitzer Organ, a red carpet will lead the award winners path to the stage where they will be greeted by our side splitting 'stand up' comic master of ceremonies, who will invite the esteemed film critics David Stratton and Margaret Pomeranz to present the individual awards: "And the envelope please".
And what is a 'Show' without a 'Showbag'?
All ticket buyers will be able to share in the fun with their very own show bag. So what's 'in the bag'? Australia's magazine of celebrity news, WHO magazine. A bottle of Solis energy drink. A bag of Uncle Toby's Microwave Popcorn and much more.
When aspiring film makers pick up their kit on Friday 24 June it will contain some key elements that must be included in each 7 minute film and a theme that will define this years competition.
24th - 26th June, 2005
The mission is……………. You have 24 hours to make 7 minutes count. Your film is to contain the following elements.
Time is the enemy; imagination your only friend; for filmmakers with guts.
The rewards for category winners will be fabulous and their fame assured as very special WHO WHO's of this 2005 Noosa MADREEL Film Festival
All you need is some friends and a camera.
From Friday night to Saturday night, filmmakers create their masterpieces under some of the most challenging conditions:
* there's a time limit ~ 24 hours to make a film no longer than 7 minutes
* there's a whirlwind tour of Noosa included as you find, view and select five from a list of items that must appear (however fleetingly) in your film.
Why do we dare you to go REELMAD?
* it's fast, furious and fun
* it's a level playing field ~ so everyone can have a go; that's right ~ family teams, teams of friends and/or teams of budding emerging filmmakers.
* it's a great way to network your way to the big time
* your chance for your film to be screened to an audience with industry judges.
* and oh yeah…….your chance to win great prizes!
For further information and entry forms for the
REELMAD 24hr film making competition
contact Belinda @ Alfresco
777 Noosa Eumundi Road Doonan
1800 66 77 67
or register directly @ : www.reelmad.com
All Sunshine Coast events, gigs, functions etc... onsite are correct as per information provided at time of uploading, please always verify times or dates directly with the venues to avoid disappointment.
This property has been added to your save list now.
Don't have registration yet ? "Create Account"
If you have lost / forgotten your password click: "Lost Password"
NOTE: This login is to manage your real estate alerts/preferences and not to register your business details for the directory. To submit Sunshine Coast Business data please visit here.