The Oskar Schindler of Asia?
The true story of Ali al Jenabi.
Robin de Crespigny is best known as a documentary and feature film director.
Her first book, The People Smuggler, has been described by her publisher as “... the most significant book about modern Australia since Chloe Hooper’s The Tall Man”. It tells the true story of Ali al Jenabi, a victim of Saddam Hussein’s brutal regime, who, after fleeing for his life along with his family, attempted to get to Australia – a country they knew nothing about, but understood to be safe, free and compassionate.
This is the engrossing story of how Ali al Jenabi survived his years without a passport or a state, how the people smuggling business functions, and how Ali was treated when he and his family finally arrived in Australia.
It will open your eyes to what refugees are fleeing from, and what makes them risk their lives and the lives of their families in seeking safety.
Join Robin in conversation with bmag feature writer and radio presenter Alexandria Bernard, for what promises to be an enlightening, and possibly controversial discussion.
Robin de Crespigny – The People Smuggler
Date: Tuesday 19 June
Venue: The J Theatre
Duration: 90 minutes
The Noosa Longweekend Festival, 15-24 June 2012
Over 80 cultural events staged over 10 days and nights.
Full 2012 Noosa Longweekend Festival Program available on http://www.noosalongweekend.com/downloads/2012-NLW-program.pdf
• The 11th Noosa Longweekend Festival will be staged from Friday 15 -Sunday 24 June 2012
• The festival comprises 10 days (and nights) of music, theatre, dance, literature, forums, film, food, visual arts and workshops staged at various venues in the iconic, beachside village and surrounding hinterland of Noosa, Queensland
• Full festival program announced Thursday 3 May. Tickets on sale Tuesday 8 May
• Over 80 ticketed and non-ticketed events will be on offer. Free events include heritage walks, photographic exhibitions, a children’s workshop and roving entertainment
• Tickets can be purchased at www.noosalongweekend.com or from The J Box office (in person, by phone (07) 5455 4455 or online at www.thej.com.au)
• In excess of 10,000 tickets will be on sale
• Featuring the crème de la crème of local, national and international artists - in excess of 170 Artists, authors and guest speakers will participate in the 2012 Festival
• Visit www.noosalongweekend.com to keep up with festival news, program and ticketing information
The J Theatre, Noosa Junction
All Sunshine Coast events, gigs, functions etc... onsite are correct as per information provided at time of uploading, please always verify times or dates directly with the venues to avoid disappointment.
This property has been added to your save list now.
Don't have registration yet ? "Create Account"
If you have lost / forgotten your password click: "Lost Password"
NOTE: This login is to manage your real estate alerts/preferences and not to register your business details for the directory. To submit Sunshine Coast Business data please visit here.