2019-20 Men’s International Cricket Season Returns to The Gabba

Published:

Brisbane’s iconic Gabba will host the first cricket Test of the summer - the 2019-20 Men’s International Season in November.

The Premier made the announcement today at the Gabba following high level discussions held earlier this year at the day-night Test between Australia and India on Australia Day in Adelaide, between her government and Cricket Australia.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said Minister for Sport Mick de Brenni had worked hard to secure the hosting of one of the year’s most prestigious sporting events.

“We’ve worked closely with Cricket Australia, the local cricketing industry and Stadiums Queensland to ensure that this highly anticipated event returns to Brisbane to the delight of local and international cricket fans,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

“It demonstrates our recognition of the important role that sport plays in boosting our local economy and Queensland tourism through encouraging local and international visitors to come to our state and see all the wonderful things we have on offer.”

Deputy Premier and Member for South Brisbane Jackie Trad said the Government’s $5.4 billion investment and commitment to proceed with the Cross River Rail infrastructure project will deliver significant opportunities for the enhancement of The Gabba precinct.

“Our investment will ensure The Gabba is a world-class venue, attracting events that deliver economic benefits for Queenslanders,” Ms Trad said.

Minister for Sport Mick de Brenni said the Palaszczuk Government had already delivered a full overhaul of player facilities underneath the stadium and an Expression of Interest (EOI) process seeking a strategic naming rights partner at The Gabba was released in early March.

“From a fan and spectator perspective, we understand there is more work to be done to improve The Gabba facilities and that will include utilisation of revenue from any upcoming naming or management rights deal.

“Playing host to the first test match of the summer is one thing, but where Queensland cricket fans come in, is jumping in now to get tickets and help the Aussies kick start the summer season and help win the Ashes for the Gabba – having a full stadium of supporters is key to that.

“The Gabba is already one of the best cricket grounds in the world and this announcement with Cricket Australia has been hugely welcomed by Queensland’s sporting industry, demonstrating the strength of the relationship between sporting bodies, Stadiums Queensland and the Queensland Government.

“As we consider the development of our new 10-year Sports and Recreation Strategy, the relationship we have with the sporting community is in a very good place.

“I look forward to continuing to consult with representatives from across Queensland’s sporting industry, including Cricket Australia in the coming weeks, particularly around support for a first Ashes Test here at The Gabba.

Australia has never been beaten in a Test against Pakistan at the Gabba, so I very much look forward to cheering on the Australian Cricket Team in November,” Mr de Brenni said.

JOINT STATEMENT
Premier and Minister for Trade
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk
Deputy Premier, Treasurer and Minister for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships
The Honourable Jackie Trad
Minister for Housing and Public Works, Minister for Digital Technology and Minister for Sport
The Honourable Mick de Brenni

 
Festivals & Events Lifestyle Queensland Government Sport and Fitness
Social:   

Annastacia Palaszczuk : Queensland Premier and Minister for Trade :
PO Box 15185, City East, Queensland 4002, Queensland Wide
07 3224 4500
Annastacia Palaszczuk : Queensland Premier and Minister for Trade
Showing 10+ recent articles for this business
Queensland COVID-19 – Monday, April 6 06 April 2020 | Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said a welcome downward trend in new coronavirus cases was continuing, while testing for community transmissions will be expanded. More information...
$17.5 million plan to protect families of health heroes 06 April 2020 | Thousands of Queensland’s frontline health workers could be provided free accommodation if they want to self-isolate. More information...
Queensland COVID-19 Update – Sunday, April 5 05 April 2020 | Today’s relatively low rate of increase in coronavirus cases is welcome news but also reinforces the need to maintain social distancing to contain the spread. More information...
Queensland manufacturers Evolve in time of need 05 April 2020 | Queensland manufacturers are stepping up like never before to provide essential products for health workers and communities in response to the coronavirus. More information...
Queensland COVID-19 Update – Friday, April 3 03 April 2020 | Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has applauded Queenslanders for responding positively to community measures in the joint battle against COVID-19. More information...
Care army mobilised to support and protect seniors from coronavirus 01 April 2020 | A Care Army of professionals and volunteers will rally around Queensland’s seniors, while a new telephone hotline is also being launched, to help ensure the wellbeing of older people during the Coronavirus... More information...
Special team to boost tracking and enforcement in bid to halt coronavirus 31 March 2020 | In an Australian first, the Palaszczuk Government will establish a dedicated team to boost tracking in the government’s fight against coronavirus. More information...
Queensland planning for temporary emergency hospitals for Covid-19 victims 29 March 2020 | Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has confirmed the Department of Health is proactively exploring options for setting up plans for temporary hospitals state-wide in vacant hotels, convention centres and possibly... More information...
Student free days for Queensland state schools next week 26 March 2020 | Queensland schools will go student-free next week, as the state’s education system continues to work to limit the spread of coronavirus. More information...
Palaszczuk Government unveils $4 billion package to support health, jobs, households and Queensland businesses 24 March 2020 | The Palaszczuk Government will invest an additional $4 billion in measures to support Queenslanders’ health, their jobs and businesses. More information...


comments powered by Disqus

All articles submitted by third parties or written by My Sunshine Coast come under our Disclaimer / Terms of Service