The 2019 Hong Kong Dragon Boat Carnival, now in its tenth year, will descend on Hong Kong’s iconic Central Harbourfront and Victoria Harbour from 14 to 16 June 2019 with an action-packed programme of competitive racing and cultural activities.
Jointly organised by the Hong Kong Tourism Board (HKTB) and the Hong Kong China Dragon Boat Association (HKCDBA), the 2019 Event will welcome close to 5,000 paddlers representing about 180 teams from 16 countries and regions to Asia’s world city to compete by invitation only.
There are four Australian teams participating in this competitive line-up of dragon boat athletes which for the first time includes Asian Games medal-winning teams. The Australian dragon boat teams competing are:
- Newcastle Hunter Dragon Boat Club from Newcastle, New South Wales
- Outback Dragons from Dubbo, New South Wales
- The Sloths Dragon Boat Club from Pyrmont in Sydney, New South Wales
- Maroochy Sea Serpents from Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Hong Kong Tourism Board’s Regional Director – Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific, Andrew Clark said “It’s very exciting to have four Aussie teams represented in this year’s carnival which promises to be bigger and better than ever before. Combining sports, dining and entertainment in one event offers visitors to Hong Kong an authentic and diversified experience that is not-to-be-missed.”
Highlights of the 2019 Hong Kong Dragon Boat Carnival:
- First-ever ‘Discovering Hong Kong’s Crafts Stories’ Artisanal Market’ with 46 booths showcasing more than 100 handmade products encapsulating Hong Kong’s local culture from modernised traditional Chinese candy art craft, Hong-Kong themed embroidered accessories and vintage-style stationery and gadgets.
- New ‘Street Food Gala’ serving local and international delicacies including;
- 16 booths presenting various regional fares including Hong Kong, American and German food. Highlighted food items include Tian Tian’s Hainanese Chicken Rice recommended in the Michelin Guide and coconut dessert by Hong Kong brand SO COCO.
- Six food trucks offering more gourmet options including delicacies exclusive to the Hong Kong Dragon Boat Carnival.
- Green measures will be implemented to support environmental conservation, from reusable tableware for rent, food waste recycling, water dispenses to waste separation bins.
- Man-made beach and ‘Splash Fun Area’.
- Live music performances by local indie singers/songwriters at the evening concerts.
Opening Hours: 14 June 2019 (1:00pm to 9:00pm)
15 to 16 June 2019 (10:00am to 9:00pm)
Venue: Central Harbourfront Event Space
For more information visit
@DiscoverHongKong / #DiscoverHongKong