Australia and India pad up for Gabba Fourth Test

Published:

The Australia versus India Fourth Test at the Gabba on Friday will go ahead.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said it was good news for Queensland cricket fans.

“Like most elite events last year which saw Queensland host several sporting bubbles, COVID-19 has made preparing for Friday’s Test anything but routine,” the Premier said.

“We’ll keep listening to the strong medical advice of the Chief Health Officer to keep Queenslanders safe and our economy strong.

“The Fourth Test of the Border-Gavaskar Trophy at the Gabba is no exception.”

Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said new health precautions would apply to the Fourth Test at the Gabba.

“These new precautions for the Gabba will allow the Test to continue safety and help us to protect Queenslanders and players,” Dr Young said.

They include:

  • Maximum daily capacity at Gabba to be capped at 50 per cent, or approximately 18,000 spectators per day;
  • Mandatory mask-wearing for game entry and exit and while moving around the stadium, including when buying food and drink;
  • An allocated checkerboard seating layout for social distancing; and
  • Existing tickets to be refunded by Cricket Australia and new ticketing arrangements put in place by CA to enable social distancing of spectators.

“These precautions for the fourth Test are consistent with the SCG and the MCG for the earlier Tests to reduce the risk of seeding COVID, particularly the new UK strain we’ve detected in Greater Brisbane,” Dr Young said.

Sports Minister Stirling Hinchliffe said it was important people adhered to the rules to ensure a safe event.

“These are small sacrifices to make to ensure we can enjoy cricket at the Gabba and keep Queenlsanders safe,” the Minister said.

“I want to thank Cricket Australia and the BCCI for working closely with the Chief Health Officer and the Queensland Government to make this a COVID-safe Test.

“With the extraordinary spirit of cooperation behind the scenes, I’m confident we’re going to witness a great Test at the Gabba this week.”

Nick Hockley, CA’s Interim CEO, said the ongoing safety of fans, staff, players, broadcast partners and match officials is the number one priority ahead of the fourth Vodafone Test in Brisbane.
 
“We have been working closely with Queensland Health to ensure our strong biosecurity plans guarantees the fourth Test at the Gabba is played safely,” he said.
 
“Throughout the season, we have developed a strong track record for a safe and responsible return to sport thanks to our well-established biosecurity protocols, the ongoing support from public health officials and the incredible hard work of so many people across Australian cricket.
 
“I want to thank the Queensland Government for their cooperation and willingness to working closely with CA and the BCCI so we can deliver the fourth Test as planned, but more importantly delivering on a plan that places the safety and wellbeing of the players, match officials and the wider community as a top priority,” Hockley said.

JOINT STATEMENT
Premier and Minister for Trade
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk
Minister for Tourism Industry Development and Innovation and Minister for Sport
The Honourable Stirling Hinchliffe

 
Coronavirus COVID-19 Entertainment Lifestyle Political Queensland Government Sport and Fitness
Social:   

Annastacia Palaszczuk : Queensland Premier and Minister for Trade :
PO Box 15185, City East, Queensland 4002, Queensland Wide
07 3224 4500
Annastacia Palaszczuk : Queensland Premier and Minister for Trade
Showing 10+ recent articles for this business
FIFA Women's World Cup 2023 comes to Queensland 01 April 2021 | Brisbane has been named as a host city for the FIFA Women’s World Cup with matches set to be played at Brisbane Stadium (Lang Park) in 2023. More information...
Greater Brisbane lockdown ends; some restrictions remain to keep Queensland safe 01 April 2021 | Thanks to the cooperation and sacrifices of so many, all Queenslanders can now celebrate Easter with family and loved ones. More information...
Mandated Check In Qld to aid contact tracing at pubs, restaurants and cafes 31 March 2021 | The Palaszczuk Government’s new COVID-Safe check-in app will be mandated for most hospitality businesses across Queensland from 1 May to assist with contact tracing efforts. More information...
Greater Brisbane lockdown and Queensland restrictions 29 March 2021 | Due to travel outside of Greater Brisbane of some cases during their infectious period, the below restrictions will apply to the rest of Queensland: More information...
Queensland senior leadership changes 15 March 2021 | Premier and Minister for Trade, Annastacia Palaszczuk today announced senior leadership changes in key Queensland Government agencies. More information...
Frontline workers to receive a second dose of the Pfizer vaccine from today 16 March 2021 | “So far, more than 21,000 Queenslanders have received a vaccine dose, with some now being fully vaccinated with their second shot,” the Premier said. More information...
Queensland Ballet 60th Anniversary Gala celebrates six superb decades 05 March 2021 | A showcase of classic and contemporary dance has celebrated six decades of artistic brilliance as Queensland Ballet returns to the stage after COVID for its 60th Anniversary Gala. More information...
$200 travel vouchers for Qlders holidaying in Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef 07 March 2021 | The Palaszczuk Government is offering 15,000 Queenslanders a free $200 travel voucher to spend on tourism experiences when they holiday in the Cairns and Great Barrier Reef region over the next four months. More information...
Former Court of Appeal judge to lead taskforce into coercive control 17 February 2021 | Action against coercive control in Queensland is a step closer following today’s announcement by the Palaszczuk Government of an independent taskforce to examine the issue, with former Court of Appeal judge the... More information...
Tourism operators now expect a bumper Easter and school holidays 31 January 2021 | Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says the Queensland tourism industry is expecting strong bookings for Easter and the school holidays with the Greater Sydney COVID hotspot ending on Monday (Feb 1). More information...


comments powered by Disqus

All articles submitted by third parties or written by My Sunshine Coast come under our Disclaimer / Terms of Service