Congratulation parents, carers and guardians, you have almost made it to the end of the long school holidays!
Sunshine Coast drivers are reminded that school starts back soon, and the 40km/h school zones will be in force.
School zones in Queensland operate between 7am – 9am and 2pm and 4pm unless special circumstances have been granted by Department of Transport and Main Roads.
Safety tips for school crossings with supervisors:
- School crossing supervisors are road workers – they have the authority to stop traffic;
- When the stop sign is down, you can travel through the crossing;
- When a stop sign is at an angel of 45 degrees, you must prepare to stop;
- When the supervisor enters the road, you must be completely stopped;
- When the stop sign is upright, you must remain stopped and;
- You cannot proceed until the supervisor has returned to the footpath.
It will be a very busy week so to avoid any unnecessary congestion, please ensure that you use the designated student drop off zone appropriately, and even better, park away from the school and walk with your child to the gate or classroom.
Remember from February 1, the penalties for illegally using a mobile phone while driving are increasing to a $1,000 fine and minimum of four demerit points.
Click here for more information.