Bruce Highway upgrade powers into 2019

Published:

NOTE: This article is older than 12 months

Big changes are coming for motorists in 2019 as construction on one of the Sunshine Coast’s largest projects moves ahead.

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development Michael McCormack said the landmark project would improve safety, increase efficiency and reduce congestion on the Bruce Highway.

“Around the country, we are investing to bust congestion and make roads safer,” Mr McCormack said.

Queensland Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said an early preview of the new interchange had been released on TMR’s website to give the community a first look at the coming changes.

“From the new Diverging Diamond Interchange at Caloundra Road, through to the new Sunshine Motorway interchange and upgrades at Sippy Downs, this area is undergoing a complete transformation,” Mr Bailey said.

“It’s a transformation that will provide more safer and smooth connections from the Bruce Highway to central parts of the Sunshine Coast for the more than 63,000 motorists who drive this stretch each day.

“The artist’s impressions we’ve released give the community a closer look at the new infrastructure that is being delivered as part of the upgrade.

“Construction is expected to continue until late 2020 so we thank motorists and the community for their patience.”

Member for Fisher Andrew Wallace said one of the Sunshine Coast’s most notorious intersections near Exit 194, which locals know as Wilson Road, will be removed this year as the new Sunshine Motorway interchange takes shape.

“Locally, this intersection is known as a high crash zone and Sunshine Coast motorists have been calling for its removal for many years,” Mr Wallace said.

Member for Fairfax Ted O’Brien said the Sunshine Motorway interchange will improve safety by replacing the intersection with an on-ramp for northbound motorists and a new two lane exit to the Sunshine Motorway.

“The Sunshine Motorway intersection at Wilson Road will progressively be removed as major construction continues, with several traffic changes required to maintain traffic flow and access through the project area,” Mr O’Brien said.

The $812.95 million Bruce Highway Upgrade – Caloundra Road to Sunshine Motorway is funded on an 80/20 basis with the Australian Government contributing $650.36 million and the Queensland Government contributing $162.59 million

For more information about the project, or to view the artist’s impressions visit: https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Projects/Name/B/Bruce-Highway-Caloundra-Road-to-Sunshine-Motorway-upgrade.

For information about traffic changes and to plan your journey, visit QldTraffic: www.qldtraffic.qld.gov.au.

Minister for Transport and Main Roads
The Honourable Mark Bailey

 
Automotive and Aerospace Infrastructure & Construction Lifestyle Queensland Government Travel & Transport
Social:   

Mark Bailey MP, Queensland Minister for Transport and Main Roads :
GPO Box 1412, Brisbane Queensland 4001, Queensland Wide
07 3834 2011
Mark Bailey MP, Queensland Minister for Transport and Main Roads
Showing 10+ recent articles for this business
Queensland driving tests to resume 03 June 2020 | Queensland’s learner drivers will soon be able to sit for their P-plates again with practical driving tests to resume on June 15. More information...
Motorists get sneak preview of next major Sunshine Coast road upgrade 02 June 2020 | Motorists have received a preview of the next major Sunshine Coast upgrade on the Bruce Highway at Forest Glen, with animated concepts showing how the upgraded highway interchanges at Maroochydore Road and Mons... More information...
Road safety grant applications now open 01 June 2020 | Sunshine Coast schools, councils, community groups and not-for-profit organisations are being encouraged to apply for a 2020 Community Road Safety Grant. More information...
$2.1 billion plan to bust North Brisbane congestion 15 May 2020 | The Palaszczuk Government has unveiled a $2.1 billion congestion-busting road plan for Moreton Bay and North Brisbane commuters. More information...
Drive safely as COVID-19 travel restrictions ease 30 April 2020 | Frontline authorities are pleading with Queenslanders to drive safely this long weekend as coronavirus travel restrictions ease. More information...
Drive safe as lives lost on Qld roads up despite traffic down 21 April 2020 | Stay at home, but if you need to drive for an essential reason remember to drive safely. That’s the message to Queensland drivers with worrying new stats revealing more lives are being lost in 2020 on the... More information...
Stay at home, no need to renew senior driver medical certificates 10 April 2020 | Senior Queenslanders are again being urged to stay at home with the Queensland Government changing its medical certificate requirements for drivers 75 and over. More information...
Stay safe, stay home this Easter 10 April 2020 | Queenslanders are being urged to stay off the roads and stay home this Easter long weekend to help slow the spread of COVID-19. More information...
Fishing and essential boat use to continue 31 March 2020 | Queensland boaties can still take their boats out locally to fish or travel for essential reasons. More information...
COVID-19 response sees temporary reduction in Queensland long-haul travel 27 March 2020 | Long haul train and coach services within Queensland will be temporarily reduced as part of wider efforts to contain COVID-19. More information...


comments powered by Disqus

All articles submitted by third parties or written by My Sunshine Coast come under our Disclaimer / Terms of Service