Warana and Bokarina beach goers have clearly expressed their support for no changes to the existing off-leash area between beach access 226 and 247.
Division 3 Councillor Peter Cox said that after receiving a number of requests from residents to introduce a small section of dog on-leash area, similar to the ones north of the Kawana Surf Club, he was compelled to take the options to his constituents to have their say.
“Late last year, we went to the community to ensure fairness and equity for all beach users and residents answered our call,” Cr Cox said.
“The question we asked was clear, ‘Do you agree with the suggested inclusion of a dog on-leash area between beach accesses 235-239?’.
“The results were conclusive with 78% of respondents voting ‘no’, meaning the remaining 22% were supportive of a change with their ‘yes’ vote.
“Council also received an e-petition with nearly 2000 signatures advocating to maintain the status quo.
“Given the comprehensive survey results, council won’t be recommending any changes to the current situation, however we will continue to focus on the recognised issues for the Bokarina and Warana off-leash area.
“We implore all dog owners to be mindful that our beaches are for everyone to enjoy.
“This means picking up and disposing of your dog’s waste properly, plus ensuring you have command of your dog and that he or she is supervised at all times.”
Cr Cox thanked everyone who provided their input either by answering the survey, compiling or signing petitions or making a submission.
“It was an interesting exercise to undertake and clearly stirred many community members to exercise their right to participate in this process,” he said.
Correspondence was sent directly to more than 2000 residents living in the immediate area and an online survey was available on council’s website.