The Palaszczuk Government has released a discussion paper on the state’s tow truck reforms as part of its two-year review.
Following an independent investigation into the towing industry, the Palaszczuk Government introduced the measures in 2018 to address community complaints about alleged shady practices and intimidating tactics used by some towing operators undertaking private property towing.
Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said Queenslanders could provide feedback on how the tow truck scheme operated and where improvements could be made.
“The legislation regulates private property and crash towing. It ensures all tow truck drivers are accredited, all trucks are licensed, and fees are capped, protecting motorists from unscrupulous tow truck operators,” Mr Bailey said.
“We committed to reviewing these reforms within two years to ensure they adequately addressed community concerns and improved industry practices.”
Since the tow truck reforms dealing with removal of vehicles from private property, the number of complaints has dramatically reduced.
In the 12 months before the reforms TMR received over 515 complaints about private property towing.
From April 2018 to September 2019, the department received 197 complaints relating to crash towing and private property towing, including 79 complaints about private property towing.
Issues included driver conduct, authority to tow, and fees charged. Complaints resulted in infringement notices being issued, licence holder education and the cancellation of some tow truck driver accreditations.
A full summary of the complaints and actions is available here: https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/business-industry/Accreditations/Tow-truck-licensing-scheme/Tow-truck-complaints-infringements-and-audits
Before the tow trucks reforms, the suburbs with the highest number of private property towing complaints included Fortitude Valley, Ascot and South Brisbane. Currently the suburbs with the most complaints include Hamilton, Ascot and Fortitude Valley.
Mr Bailey said the review would also focus on identifying changes to improve and modernise the broader tow truck scheme.
“We listened to the public and made positive steps with last year’s private property reforms,” he said.
“We want to hear from a range of industry stakeholders and interest groups, along with the motoring public to ensure the views of all Queenslanders are represented.”
To have your say on the future of the tow truck scheme, visit www.getinvolved.qld.gov.au until November 24.
For more information on Queensland’s current tow truck scheme, visit www.tmr.qld.gov.au/business-industry/Accreditations/Tow-truck-licensing-scheme
Minister for Transport and Main Roads
The Honourable Mark Bailey