Drive safe on Queensland roads

Published:

NOTE: This article is older than 12 months
https://streetsmarts.initiatives.qld.gov.au/

Drivers are again being urged to take care and avoid the ‘fatal five’ after a horror weekend on Queensland roads.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said four tragic incidents, which resulted in the loss of five lives, would leave a wake of grief and loss for families, friends, colleagues and communities.

“Last year, 245 people were killed on Queensland roads – that’s 245 mums, dads, brothers, sisters and children,” Mr Bailey said.

“The ‘fatal five’ - speeding, distraction, alcohol and drugs, fatigue and not wearing a seatbelt - continue to be the major causes of death on our roads.

“I urge everyone to steer clear of the ‘fatal five’ and make our roads a safer place for everyone.

“The Palaszczuk Government is delivering more than $1.92 billion in critical road safety infrastructure upgrades over four years, but we need every Queenslander keep safety front of mind and drive so others survive.

“We recently launched our ‘Drive smarter, not faster’ campaign, which has some simple exercises you can do to avoid distractions and stop speeding.

“One different choice on the road could save your life, the life of a loved one or another.

Mr Bailey said in addition to keeping safety front of mind, he encouraged all Queenslanders to take the Fatality Free Friday pledge on May 31.

“While the focus of Fatality Free Friday is to achieve zero road deaths on just one day – the last Friday in May, the pledge remains relevant every day of the year,” Mr Bailey said.

For more information on road safety across Queensland and the ‘Drive smarter, not faster’ campaign visit https://streetsmarts.initiatives.qld.gov.au/

Minister for Transport and Main Roads
The Honourable Mark Bailey

 
Automotive and Aerospace Community Law & Safety Queensland Government
Social:   

Mark Bailey MP, Queensland Minister for Transport and Main Roads :
GPO Box 1412, Brisbane Queensland 4001, Queensland Wide
07 3834 2011
Mark Bailey MP, Queensland Minister for Transport and Main Roads
Showing 10+ recent articles for this business
Motorists get sneak preview of next major Sunshine Coast road upgrade 02 June 2020 | Motorists have received a preview of the next major Sunshine Coast upgrade on the Bruce Highway at Forest Glen, with animated concepts showing how the upgraded highway interchanges at Maroochydore Road and Mons... More information...
Road safety grant applications now open 01 June 2020 | Sunshine Coast schools, councils, community groups and not-for-profit organisations are being encouraged to apply for a 2020 Community Road Safety Grant. More information...
$2.1 billion plan to bust North Brisbane congestion 15 May 2020 | The Palaszczuk Government has unveiled a $2.1 billion congestion-busting road plan for Moreton Bay and North Brisbane commuters. More information...
Drive safely as COVID-19 travel restrictions ease 30 April 2020 | Frontline authorities are pleading with Queenslanders to drive safely this long weekend as coronavirus travel restrictions ease. More information...
Drive safe as lives lost on Qld roads up despite traffic down 21 April 2020 | Stay at home, but if you need to drive for an essential reason remember to drive safely. That’s the message to Queensland drivers with worrying new stats revealing more lives are being lost in 2020 on the... More information...
Stay at home, no need to renew senior driver medical certificates 10 April 2020 | Senior Queenslanders are again being urged to stay at home with the Queensland Government changing its medical certificate requirements for drivers 75 and over. More information...
Stay safe, stay home this Easter 10 April 2020 | Queenslanders are being urged to stay off the roads and stay home this Easter long weekend to help slow the spread of COVID-19. More information...
Fishing and essential boat use to continue 31 March 2020 | Queensland boaties can still take their boats out locally to fish or travel for essential reasons. More information...
COVID-19 response sees temporary reduction in Queensland long-haul travel 27 March 2020 | Long haul train and coach services within Queensland will be temporarily reduced as part of wider efforts to contain COVID-19. More information...
Changes to SEQ public transport to promote better social distancing 25 March 2020 | All public transport commuters in the south east will need to use a go card or pay for tickets using station fare machines from today. More information...


comments powered by Disqus

All articles submitted by third parties or written by My Sunshine Coast come under our Disclaimer / Terms of Service