Heading up the beach is a favourite past time for many local residents and visitors, especially over the Christmas and New Year break.
But it is important to remember that road rules apply and are enforced so make sure you follow these basic road rules.
- Don’t speed – speed limits apply on the beach and inland tracks;
- Wear your seatbelt and make sure your passengers do too;
- Don’t drink and drive;
- Do not overload vehicle/trailers, especially on roof racks. Vehicles can easily overturn or become trapped in soft sand;
- All passengers must remain inside the vehicle. It is illegal for persons to travel outside the vehicle (eg on bonnets or in trays). Penalties apply to both the driver and the passengers;
- Check the tides – don’t get caught out;
- Watch out for people, particularly children walking or playing on the beach. It is important to remember that people may not hear your vehicle approaching due to the sound of the surf and wind;
- Ensure that children are supervised at campsites.
Police will be regularly patrolling the beaches and we ask that you follow the above road rules and guidelines.
Everyone is there for an enjoyable time so drive and behave responsibly.
Remember not all beaches allow driving, so make sure you check before you drive, here is a useful link.