AUSTRALIA'S MEDIA IS IN
Research in our new report reveals:
The vast majority of Australia's media power sits with two media corporations – News Corp and Nine Entertainment – giving them excessive political and ideological influence.
News Corp, which is owned by the Murdoch Press, is the unchallenged dominant player in almost every media market. Their power extends into digital news, radio, and television, adding up to a dangerous amount of control.
Australia's very last controls on excessive media ownership were removed in 2017 after years of lobbying by powerful media executives.
The Code was designed to increase the economic power of major corporations like News Corp, leaving smaller media companies struggling to compete.
A systematic lack of transparency plagues our media sector, making critical information about who owns and controls the media extremely difficult to access. This makes it even harder to hold owners of media corporations to account for their actions.
- Our media is more concentrated than ever:
- Murdoch Press owns 59% of key print markets:
- Deregulation of media ownership has been designed to serve major media moguls:
- The recent News Bargaining Code will only make media concentration worse:
- It's extremely difficult to find out who owns and controls our media:
'Who controls our media? The impact of media concentration on our democracy', GetUp. 12 April 2021.