Christmas holidays are upon us again and it is important to have a quick check of your home security, especially if you are planning on time away.
It is a well-known fact that opportunistic thieves look for easy homes or targets. Security features are installed in most homes – security doors and screens, alarm systems, CCTV cameras and sensor lighting but they won't help unless you use them.
Garages often provide access into your home and also contain portable, easy to sell items. Ensure your garage door is closed and locked – this protects your valuable items such as tools, bikes, surfboards and mowers.
Quick holiday home security tips:
- Ensure all doors and windows are locked securely using a key locking system. Don’t just flick the latch lock on your security screens;
- Hide valuables in a safe place or remove them from clear view;
- Car keys should be secured within the home and not left in an easily accessible location such as key holders and hooks;
- Arrange for a trusted friend or relative to 'house sit' or check on your property whilst you are away;
- Arrange for your mail to be collected or redirected;
- Secure your wheelie bins;
- Lock away tools, ladders and anything that can be used to gain access your home, garage or shed;
- Arrange for a neighbour to park their car in your driveway occasionally to give the impression that someone is coming and going;
- Make your home looked lived in, have the grass mowed, junk mail removed or leave some inexpensive items such as tea towels on the clothes line;
- Do not leave keys concealed in 'hiding spots' outside your home.
Ensure you and your family enjoy the holidays – secure your home and property these holidays.