Firstly, great news!
Our new website is up and running and it now means that you can now order my training books and DVD’s as downloads and order various training equipment as well.
Here is my new website: https://www.combatselfdefence.com.au
If you notice anything that isn’t working on the site then please let me know.
Gary from Graphics Bite has done a great job for me and I highly recommend him.
Here is his website: https://www.graphicsbite.co.uk
If you are unfortunate to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and a scumbag attacker armed with a weapon tries to take you out then you need to ensure that you action our training PRINCIPLES and alert codes.
Here are some of our PRINCIPLES:
- Intent – Arm your mind with an action plan of what you are going to do in a threatening situation.
- Awareness – Ensure that you are mindful of what is going on around you and be prepared to avoid the threat.
- Alert Codes – See previous newsletter regarding these. You should conduct yourself within Code Yellow at all times. (Here is my previous article on Alert Codes: https://www.combatselfdefence.com.au/situational-awareness-alert-codes-protects/)
- Positioning – Move to a side on position with your hands up and open to minimise your target attackers and to be able to move and strike fat.
- Lower Your Centre of Gravity – Bend your knees, maintain posture and you will move so much faster to close the gap and stop the attacker.
- Distancing – Don’t let anyone invade your personal space as they will have the attack advantage where you are unable to move quick enough to protect yourself.
- Occupy The Space That the Attacker Needs to be to Launch the Attack – Advanced skills that I teach in my classes and courses.
- Correct Targeting – No hitting and hoping. Select a target or targets and cause a major injury. Knock the attacker out or break their leg, damage their eyes and so on.
- Posture/Balance – Keep correct posture yourself and take the attackers posture as you deal with them. This is another advanced skill and I go through this in some of my DVD’s.
Just remember that incorporating self-defence actions against anyone armed with a weapon creates a distinct and critical disadvantage to you unless you incorporate the PRINCIPLES.
Let’s go back to the first principle of intent
Intention is a mental state that represents a commitment to carrying out an action or actions in the future. Intention involves mental activities such as planning and forethought.
Your intention when confronted by an attacker who wants to kill or seriously injure you with a weapon, let’s say he’s brandishing a blade (knife) is to stop the attack using a plan based on your training.
The weapon is the focus point here as the lethal capability of this weapon to do harm is extremely high.
The knife or any other weapon is an extension of the person holding the weapon, no matter if they are large or small in size and it makes them lethal.
Be aware of the knife but do not have tunnel vision on the knife as the attacker is a threat to you with other parts of his body and he may even have a secondary weapon.
If you grab or focus on the knife like I said then you will likely be punched, kicked, head butted or stabbed from them using their other arm…
There may be multiple attackers.
Please visualise what I am saying and ensure that you do not focus 100% on the weapon.
What you need to do is focus on causing injury to the attacker so that they are unable to use the weapon.
Strike them in the face and the knife will be dropped and with the blood pouring out of their nose they won’t be able to see either.
They will not be able to continue their attack against you.
Combat Self Defence and Filipino Kyusho students please note that you must take the posture of the attackers as you strike and dominate their centre line.
This is an advanced principle.
So, after causing this injury…
That’s when you get out of the situation making sure that you do a 360 degree check of the area to see if there is any other threat that may harm you.
Always remember that your adrenalin rush will be through the roof and if the attack took place at the side of a busy roadand you don’t check the area before walking away then you could get run over!
You will get tunnel vision unless you know how to deal with it; which I will go through in a future training article.
Self Defence Classes
If you are local to our training facility in Noosa then go ahead and book a place in my classes.
You can even book a private lesson with me just check my website for details.
Specialised Weapon Defence Course
This is booked for Saturday 20th July 2019 from 1 pm until 3 pm at Noosa Leisure Centre.
Give us a call to book your place on 07 5442 7849.
Be careful out there!