Hundreds of divers have explored world-class ex-HMAS Tobruk

Published: Comments:
Political Queensland Government Tourism Tourist Activities Tourist Destinations Water Sports and Marine Activities

Social:   

Hundreds of divers have explored Queensland’s newest world-class dive site, ex-HMAS Tobruk, which has proven to be a major tourist drawcard for the Wide Bay region.

Saturday (June 29) will mark one year since the ship was scuttled off the coast of Bundaberg and Hervey Bay and Minister for Environment Leeanne Enoch said the positive feedback had been incredible.

“The site was declared safe and ready for diving in late February, and since then about 400 people have dived the world-class dive site and there are more bookings over winter,” Ms Enoch said.

“The positive feedback from divers has been wonderful, including reports about an abundance of marine wildlife living on the wreck such many species of fish, turtles, eagle rays, feather stars, sponges and lace corals.

“In fact, there are now resident turtles that have made the wreck their home, including one hawksbill turtle who has been nicknamed Harry, two green turtles named Crush and Buttons, and one very large loggerhead named Larry.”

The wreck is expected to generate more than $1 million for the local economy annually and support about 20 jobs in the region.

Minister for Tourism Industry Development Kate Jones said word was spreading internationally about the world-class dive experience of ex-HMAS Tobruk.

“As part of our commitment to the Wide Bay region and this fantastic tourism experience, the Palaszczuk Government has invested $1 million to promote this site and Queensland’s dive and nature-based experiences,” Minister Jones said.

“There is no doubt that this attraction is great news for tourism and visitors to Bundaberg and the Fraser Coast.

“In just over a month, the campaign has reached more than 2.5 million travellers in elevating the Bundaberg and Fraser Coast region as one of the best places to experience nature.

“The promotion of this site is also extending internationally. The ex-HMAS Tobruk dive site has been featured at world dive expos including in Japan, Singapore and Malaysia, and in the US and Sydney later this year.”

Dive operator Ed Gibson from Hervey Bay Dive Centre said to date, ex HMAS Tobruk had not disappointed.

“We have just returned from our 42nd trip to the wreck since access was granted, and the ship continues to amaze us each dive, as she is evolving into this wonderful marine habitat,” Mr Gibson said.

“We now have four resident turtles, one hawksbill (Harry), two greens (Crush and Buttons) and one very large loggerhead (Larry). Several grouper have also taken up a spot or two with one quite sizeable warhorse some 2m long which we have named Cooper due to its comparison to a mini cooper. This particular big boy shows signs of a few significant battles or two.

“Apart from the tens of thousands of varied bait fish and common reef species populating the ship, we recently have also identified some lionfish, banded shrimp, octopus, a hooked-nosed sea snake, and quite a few species of soft coral starting to propagate the wreck as well.

“We have now gone through several seasons - summer, autumn and now winter – and we are seeing the changes in the varied pelagic species within those seasons which is very exciting! Currently we see regular schools of Tuna, Trevally, Mackerel and tons of Barracuda.

“As the water temp has dropped a few degrees the improvement in visibility has been great, with an average of 15m on a bad day,” Mr Gibson said.

Fast facts:

  • Ex-HMAS Tobruk is a Royal Australian Navy ship that provided great service to the Australian community throughout its 34 years until 2015
  • Ex-HMAS Tobruk rests in 28.5 metres of water
  • Fishing and spearfishing at or near the dive site is illegal
  • Hervey Bay Dive Centre, Bundaberg Aqua Scuba’s, Lady Musgrave Experience and Dive Hervey Bay are licenced take divers to the site
  • Divers with their own equipment can book a two hour timeslot online to access the site.
  • A 600m exclusion zone exists around the dive site to protect divers entering or exiting the water

To book a dive, take a virtual tour of the vessel, or for more information, visit: https://www.qld.gov.au/exhmastobruk

JOINT STATEMENT
Minister for Innovation and Tourism Industry Development and Minister for the Commonwealth Games
The Honourable Kate Jones
Minister for Environment and the Great Barrier Reef, Minister for Science and Minister for the Arts
The Honourable Leeanne Enoch

 
Kate Jones : Queensland Government, Minister for Innovation and Tourism Industry Development and Minister for the Commonwealth Games :
PO Box 15033, City East QLD 4002, Queensland Wide
07 3719 7530
13 74 68
Kate Jones : Queensland Government, Minister for Innovation and Tourism Industry Development and Minister for the Commonwealth Games
Showing 10+ recent articles for this business
FibreCo Queensland established to deliver fast, reliable internet 02 July 2019 | The Palaszczuk Government’s plan to deliver faster, more reliable internet to businesses and homes in regional Queensland is one step closer with the establishment of FibreCo Queensland this week. More information...
Queensland launches new WeChat 'CityExperience Mini Program' 02 July 2019 | An innovative new ‘mini program’ within WeChat, China’s most popular mobile application, will provide a platform to showcase some of Queensland’s key attractions to Chinese visitors. More information...
Hundreds of divers have explored world-class ex-HMAS Tobruk 28 June 2019 | Hundreds of divers have explored Queensland’s newest world-class dive site, ex-HMAS Tobruk, which has proven to be a major tourist drawcard for the Wide Bay region. More information...
First Aboriginal-owned whale watching tours kick off in Moreton 27 June 2019 | The State Government has today partnered with the Quandamooka Yoolooburrabee Aboriginal Corporation (QYAC) to launch Yalingbila Tours - Australia’s first Aboriginal owned and operated whale watching tours, on... More information...
Bold new plan to make Queensland a global skills destination 26 June 2019 | Queensland is set to attract its “unfair share” of global talent following the launch of Australia’s largest ever student career development drive. More information...
Queensland enjoys record high in international visitor spending 19 June 2019 | International visitors are spending more in Queensland than ever before with the latest data released today showing a record $6 billion was spent in the past year. More information...
Budget helps drive innovation jobs growth 11 June 2019 | More than $8 million over the next two years has been set aside in today’s State Budget to run FibreCo Qld – which was established to deliver faster, more reliable internet to homes and businesses in regional... More information...
Minister cuts the ribbon at new Sunshine Coast convention centre 28 May 2019 | Tourism Industry Development Minister Kate Jones has today opened the $10 million Sunshine Coast Convention Centre at Novotel Twin Waters Resort. More information...
Three businesses shortlisted to build world-class Cooloola ecotrail 28 May 2019 | The State Government has shortlisted three firms to deliver the Cooloola Great Walk – a world-class ecotourism attraction set to create jobs and pump millions into the Sunshine Coast economy. More information...
Big Pineapple project to create dozens of jobs on the Sunny Coast 28 May 2019 | The Palaszczuk Government will deliver a multi-million-dollar upgrade of the Sunshine Coast’s most iconic tourism attraction – the Big Pineapple. More information...



Social:   
comments powered by Disqus

All articles submitted by third parties or written by My Sunshine Coast come under our Disclaimer / Terms of Service