The Caravan Parks Association of Queensland (CPAQ) Industry Awards presentation was one for the history books, with the event taken online in an industry first.
The event provided the opportunity to celebrate seven caravan parks and two industry employees and culminated in a special announcement that will see the Association enter a new era at the end of this month.
Ron Chapman announced he will step down as CEO and Company Secretary, effective June 30, 2020, with General Manager Michelle Weston to assume the leadership role from July 1, 2020.
Dedicating 53 years to the industry in Queensland and nationally, with 30 of these at the helm of the Caravan Parks Association, Ms Weston said Ron's involvement has been invaluable to the Parks sector with changes that he was play an integral part instigated, continuing to benefit parks on a daily basis.
"Ron's input has seen special GST treatment on residents living in caravan parks, land tax exemptions for caravan parks with 50% of their sites available for long term residents, the introduction of a specific movable dwelling section of the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act and an allowance for people to stay in parks long term for holiday purposes with being considered a resident, which all continue to apply today,"
This announcement follows the announcement in November last year that Ron would step back from his role of CEO of the Caravan Trade and Industries Association of Queensland, the other association that with CPAQ makes up Caravanning Queensland.
Ron's commitment to the industry expands beyond just caravan parks and trade, playing a role in the broader tourism space in Queensland for many years including being Founding Member of Tourism Council Australian, Queensland Division and the Founding Chairman of the QTIC Associations' Council.
"While Ron is stepping back he will continue to be involved with the Association and to provide advice and support to the CPAQ team" said Ms Weston.
The CPAQ Award's Presentation also provided the opportunity to showcase several Queensland caravan parks and individuals working with in caravan parks highlighting the continued innovation within our industry.
Ms Weston said the judging for these awards was incredibly tough this year with many quality nominations across all categories.
The full list of the 2020 Caravan Parks Association of Queensland Industry Award winners is:
- Tidy Park Award - Brisbane Holiday Village (Brisbane)
- Good Corporate Citizen Award - Pelican Rest Tourist Park (St George)
- Refurbishment Award - Fishermans Beach Holiday Park (Emu Park)
- Environmental Award - BIG4 Whitsunday Tropical Eco Resort (Whitsundays)
- Employee of the Year Award - Gulay Cinar of Main Beach Tourist Park (Gold Coast)
- Ray Fitton Award for Innovation - Ingenia Holidays Cairns Coconut for their Coconut Cart (Cairns)
- Outstanding Host Award - Jolly Swagman Accommodation Park (Toowoomba)
- Gordon Harris Turnaround Award - Esk Caravan Park & Brisbane Valley Rail Trail Motel (Esk)
- Simon Warner Memorial Young Achiever of the Year Award - Cheyenne Sadler of Ingenia Holidays Cairns Coconut (Cairns)