February 20 2009 Mayor welcomes final word on Wyeba Downs development
Sunshine Coast Mayor Bob Abbot has welcomed the State Government's decision to refuse a proposed development at Wyeba Downs.
Council had originally rejected the application to build an independent living and retirement village at Murdering Creek Road but the developer had appealed the decision to the Planning and Environment Court.
The application covered 37 hectares at Wyeba Downs and included 220 independent living units, 80 serviced apartments and 120 nursing home beds and associated facilities.
Acting Minister for Infrastructure and Planning John Mickel opted to call in the development late last year, and Deputy Premier Paul Lucas has now formally ruled it out.
Mayor Bob Abbot said Council had rejected the development on sound planning grounds and the State Government's decision to step in had saved Council the expense of defending its position in court.
"We are very pleased the State Government has backed us on this one," Mayor Abbot said.
"I understand they took independent advice on this development application and that advice supported Council's view.
"The Government's decision to intervene and reject the application has saved us time and ratepayers' money and cannot be appealed.
"This is a good result for the Sunshine Coast community and I'd like to thank the Deputy Premier for taking this step."