Following new measures for the industry to operate on an exclusive takeaway basis, Menulog is working with local restaurants to help them redeploy their staff as drivers to help keep staff employed and keep businesses in trade.
Menulog has operated a 'self-delivery' marketplace, since it's launch in Sydney in 2006 and has since grown the reach of this network to cover more than 87% of the addressable population. Following the Federal Government's ban on gatherings in enclosed spaces, this marketplace provides an opportunity for restaurants, cafes and other hospitality businesses to redeploy their employees as drivers and utilise the Menulog service at a significantly lower rate.
Restaurant & Catering Australia (R&CA) CEO Wes Lambert believes there are many options available to businesses to help them take advantage of takeaway and delivery services following the Prime Minister's announcement on Sunday evening.
"Whether it is standard takeaway, offering a pick up service, delivering yourself to your loyal customer base or taking advantage of one of the online food delivery platforms, there are many options that can keep restaurants and cafes running during these extraordinary times," Mr Lambert said.
"If the options available to businesses are either closing your doors or remaining open to offer takeaway meals, we are urging businesses wherever possible to keep their doors open, in whatever capacity possible."
Menulog Managing Director, Morten Belling said: "Menulog was founded over 14 years ago on the premise of helping restaurants with their own delivery drivers to grow their customer base - and we are encouraging more restaurants to do so now.
"Our national delivery logistics service covers 87% of the addressable population and is available for those restaurants without drivers. If restaurants decide to redeploy their staff as drivers we can support these businesses with our self-delivery marketplace which offers Menulog's online ordering and delivery integration technology.
"We will continue to work very closely with Restaurant & Catering Australia along with our restaurant partners across the country to help them adjust their businesses to ensure they can continue to operate."
Menulog has been closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation and is working with restaurants, industry and government to develop initiatives to support restaurants, customers and couriers. To support restaurant partners, last week Meunlog announced commission on Pick Up orders across all 17,000 partner restaurants would be halved to help stimulate takeaway business as well as delivery, along with $3 million in marketing efforts to promote restaurant partners.
Prioritising the health and safety of the network, Menulog has already implemented initiatives such as Contactless Delivery, as well as additional safety measures for restaurants and information hubs with the latest guidance from health authorities.