Set to become a vibrant haven for events, meetings, cultural activities and learning, the new Baringa Community Centre has celebrated its grand opening.
Mayor Mark Jamieson and Division 1 Councillor Rick Baberowski marked the special occasion with a tour of the recently completed facility.
“The new heart of Baringa – the community centre – has been designed and funded by council in partnership with Stockland to provide a central meeting place for this community,” Mayor Jamieson said.
“It provides a dedicated space for local people to gather and connect with each other, which is key to establishing thriving communities.
“This centre is the final stage of the Baringa Community Hub Pilot Project, which was created in partnership with the State Government, council and Stockland to promote the shared use of state and local government assets and resources.
“As well as the community centre, the Community Hub incorporates multi-purpose spaces within the Baringa State School and council’s neighbourhood sports ground.
“The Baringa Community Hub Pilot Project is a great example of the outcomes that can be achieved when local and state government join with the private sector to deliver infrastructure, which improves the liveability of our local communities and our region.
“Our healthy, smart, creative region benefits from these collaborations and I look forward to seeing the new Baringa Community Centre thrive.”
Cr Baberowski said providing community facilities during the early stage of a new suburb was fundamental to establishing a strong sense of belonging and robust networks within the community.
“One of the main elements of council’s Environment and Liveability Strategy is ensuring there is an accessible network of social infrastructure for existing and emerging communities,” Cr Baberowski said.
“With the addition of the new community centre to the Baringa Community Hub the strategy’s vision is being realised here in this suburb.
“Residents who live close-by, as well as those in existing suburbs like Bellvista, Bells Reach and Little Mountain will all benefit from these new facilities.
“The Baringa Community Centre is perfectly positioned adjacent to the town square, youth plaza and park and conservation areas, offering the community so much to enjoy and explore from one central location.”
Baringa Community Centre Fast Facts
- Baringa Community Centre will create the heart of the community where gatherings, meetings and events can be held.
- It includes three multi-purpose rooms, used for a range of purposes include play group, an art space, office areas, meeting rooms, a kitchen as well as a reception area, covered entry and foyer area. It also includes outdoor activity spaces.
- The building’s design achieves best practice in environmentally sustainable outcomes, with natural ventilation, solar power and rainwater collection and re-use.
- The Baringa Community Centre is the final element of the Baringa Community Hub, a network of contemporary and high-quality facilities for all.
- The Baringa Community Hub supports the delivery of council’s Environment and Liveability Strategy, which aims to transform the Sunshine Coast into a network of self-contained, compact neighbourhoods with access to community facilities, open space (sport and recreation) and commercial centres.