The Palaszczuk Government today announced new funding to restore, conserve and create monuments and memorials acknowledging Queensland veterans’ contributions.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said six community projects will receive funding as part of the second round of the Queensland Veterans’ Memorial Grants Program.
“It is a privilege to support the communities and organisations caring for war memorials across Queensland which honour the service and sacrifice of our veterans,” the Premier said.
“My Government has committed $1.2 million of funding over three years to ensure we protect and conserve our memorials for future generations.”
This latest funding round of the Queensland Veterans’ Memorial Grants Program includes support to the restoration of the Wooroolin Memorial Hall, conservation of the St Matthias Church Honour Roll, and the restoration of the Maryborough War Memorial and Memorial Gates.
“Memorials link the past to the present and are an important way for young people to understand the contribution of our servicemen and women,” the Premier said.
“The Queensland Veterans’ Memorial Grants Program helps to ensure veterans’ groups and other eligible community organisations can continue to create and conserve a lasting legacy for future generations.”
The final round is now open and include funding of up to $40,000 per project and additional funding of up to $10,000 for conservation management plans. Applications close August 2020.
Visit www.qld.gov.au/memorialgrants for more information or to apply for a grant.
Queensland Veterans’ Memorial Grants Program round two grant recipients:
- Anglican Parish of Ithaca, Red Hill - $1500 – St Barnabas War Memorial Chapel Plaque
- Fraser Coast Regional Council - $22,575 – Restoration of Maryborough War Memorial and Memorial Gates at Queens Park, Maryborough
- El Arish Community Sports and Recreational Association Inc - $8552.73 – El Arish Cenotaph Refurbishment
- Wooroolin Community Committee Inc - $7954.00 – Restoration of the Wooroolin Memorial Hall
- RSL (Qld Branch) Mundubbera Sub Branch Inc - $1420.91 – Mundubbera Memorial Update
- RSL (Qld Branch) Geebung Zillmere Bald Hills Aspley Sub Branch Inc - $1500 – Restoration of St Matthias Church Honour Roll.
Premier and Minister for Trade
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk