A new warning has been issued about more potentially dangerous “lunchbox” gas cookers as Queenslanders head off on holidays.
Natural Resources and Mines Dr Anthony Lynham has urged Queenslanders to return or safely dispose of Active & Co and Jackeroo brand portable single burner butane stoves sold at Kmart between December 2015 and April this year.
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has recalled the stoves because of gas leaks.
“People have been injured in two incidents in Western Australia and Victoria because of gas leaks from these devices,” Dr Lynham said.
“Anyone who has one should check the number of the certificate on the cooker. The recalled products have a model number PL-222 and a certification number GMK10262.
“If it is, they should stop using it immediately and return the product to any Kmart store for a full refund or dispose of the appliance responsibly.
“Any used butane canisters should be disposed of safely in appropriate bins at council waste or recycling centres.
“If there is no longer a certificate on the cooker it would be wise to get advice from Kmart about whether the that model is safe or not.”
Butane gas cookers are light, compact, cheap and popular for outdoors activities such as camping and caravanning. About 29 000 have been sold in Queensland.
All lunchbox cookers manufactured before July 2015 were recalled nationally in 2016.
Dr Lynham said an explosion from a butane canister cooker could cause severe injury to anyone standing close, not only burns but cuts and lacerations from flying metal debris.
“The energy released is enough to create a shock wave to knock a person off balance and the fire ball can be up to 6 metres in diameter,” he said.
Consumers are encouraged to visit https://www.qld.gov.au/emergency/safety/gas/gas-safety-videos for videos containing important safety tips for using butane cookers and other appliances that use gas.
Minister for State Development and Minister for Natural Resources and Mines
The Honourable Dr Anthony Lynham