Following the latest appointments and reappointments to Queensland Government boards, the Palaszczuk Government has exceeded its 50 per cent women on boards target.
Treasurer Cameron Dick said 54 per cent of positions on government boards were now filled by women – eclipsing a 50 per cent by 2020 target that was reached last year.
“When we came to government in 2015 only 31 per cent of government board members were women. Addressing this inequality was a commitment our government made early in our term,” Mr Dick said.
“These appointments, along with initiatives like our regional Women on Boards events, demonstrate our government’s resolve in strengthening gender balance.”
Minister for Transport and Main Roads Mark Bailey said the diversity of the new board appointments will ensure a range of ideas are heard on key decisions.
“Each chair and director comes with a unique skillset and significant expertise to ensure operational performance is maximised during the critical phase of COVID economic recovery,” Mr Bailey said.
“And because we’ve kept these port and rail assets in public hands, all Queenslanders stand to keep benefitting from them.”
Natural Resources, Mines and Energy Minister Dr Anthony Lynham said the new board appointments would maintain the government owned corporations’ continuing delivery for their owners – the people of Queensland.
“Our GOCs will continue to play a crucial role as Queensland works to bounce back from the heavy impacts of COVID-19,” Dr Lynham said.
“We have a clear plan to Unite and Recover for Queensland Jobs, and as some of our biggest employers, particularly in our regions, we need our GOCs performing strongly.”
New appointments and reappointments:
Queensland Investment Corporation
- Dr Patrice Derrington, Director (reappointment)
- Paul Gallagher, Director (reappointment)
Queensland Treasury Corporation
- Rosemary Vilgan, Director (new)
- Brian Green, Director (reappointment)
- Vaughan Busby, Director (reappointment)
- Wayne Collins, Director (new)
- Kev Hegarty, Director (new)
- Dr Lorraine Stephenson, Director (reappointment)
- Karen Smith-Pomeroy, Director (reappointment)
Gladstone Ports Corporation
- Paul Heagney, Director (new)
- Dr Prins Ralston, Director (new)
- Dr Poya John (PJ) Sobhanian, Director (new)
North Queensland Bulk Ports
- Monica McKendry, Director (new)
- Tony Mooney, Director (new)
- Lynn Smart, Director (new)
- Rob Giason, Director (new)
- Julia Leu, Director (new)
Port of Townsville
- Connie Navarro, Director (new)
- Bradley Webb, Director (reappointment)
- Michael Goss, Director (new)
- Heather Watson, Director (reappointment)
- Tracey Winters, Director (new)
- Gail Ker, Director (new)
- John McEvoy, Director (new)
- Catherine Mickel, Director (new)
- Jane Williams, Director (new)
Treasurer, Minister for Infrastructure and Planning
The Honourable Cameron Dick
Minister for Transport and Main Roads
The Honourable Mark Bailey
Minister for Natural Resources, Mines and Energy
The Honourable Dr Anthony Lynham