Sunshine Coast Council’s vision to deliver a world class centre for Caloundra is taking another step forward.
Council is proposing a planning scheme amendment to help implement the adopted Caloundra Centre Master Plan, which supports the community’s goals for the area and the master plan’s vision to facilitate a strong mix of commercial, tourist, community, sport, education and living opportunities.
Division 2 Councillor Tim Dwyer said community consultation on the proposed planning scheme amendment, including an open information session on Thursday evening, was now underway.
“From today (October 15), the community has an opportunity to make submissions and all feedback will be considered by council,” Cr Dwyer said.
“Following extensive community consultation in the development of the Caloundra Centre Master Plan, this amendment is seeking to achieve greater activation, connection and vibrancy for the centre of Caloundra.
“With other centres on the Sunshine Coast, such as Maroochydore and Kawana, experiencing steady growth, it is important for Caloundra and its economy to be on a similar path.
“This special attention given to the centre of Caloundra will boost investment confidence and establish Caloundra as a leading business, employment and community services hub.
“In particular, there are plans for a new town square, Otranto Avenue street park, increased mixed use development, a gateway into Bulcock Street and improved community facilities.
“At two of the centre’s most important transformative sites – Top of Town and Western Gateway – the proposed amendment provides for additional building height to encourage developments such as a four-star hotel or vertically integrated retirement facility.
“Through this amendment, we plan to secure exemplary architectural design and facilities that will make a significant contribution to the vision for the Caloundra Centre.
“Overall, the master plan has a strong focus on good quality urban design outcomes, links to the water and initiatives to stimulate investment in, and development of, several sites for residential, commercial and tourism purposes.
“We have developed a vision for Caloundra and now we are acting to make that a reality.”
Submissions on the proposed planning scheme amendment will close on Friday, November 9, 2018.
Visit the project website ‘Have Your Say Sunshine Coast’ for a full copy of the proposed Planning Scheme amendment and to complete the online submission form.
The Proposed Sunshine Coast Planning Scheme 2014 (Major Amendment) - Caloundra Centre Master Plan is subject to public consultation from October 15 to 9 November 9, 2018 (inclusive).
The proposed amendment seeks to:
· amend the zoning, the height of buildings and structures overlay, the precincts and the assessment benchmarks for the Caloundra Local Plan Area;
· amend the tables of assessment for development in the Caloundra Local Plan Area and for development on council owned or controlled land in the community facilities zone; and
· amend transport and parking figures to reflect proposed new road and public transport routes in Caloundra.
An information session on the proposed Caloundra Centre Master Plan amendment will be held at The Events Centre in Caloundra at 5.30pm on Thursday, October 18. RSVP before Tuesday 16 October 2018 at https://haveyoursay.sunshinshinecoast.qld.gov.au/open-consultation or by calling council’s strategic planning branch on (07) 5420 8953.
The community can make submissions in a number of ways such as:
• Lodge written submissions in person at all Sunshine Coast Council offices.
• Post written submissions to the Chief Executive Officer, Sunshine Coast Regional Council, Locked Bag 72, Sunshine Coast Mail Centre QLD 4560
• Email submissions to the firstname.lastname@example.org
• Complete the online submission form at https://haveyoursay.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au/open-consultation
For further information, please contact council’s Strategic Planning Branch on (07) 5420 8953.