There have been more examples this week of important manufacturing and construction activity progressing despite the COVID-19 worldwide downturn, while border protections were further tightened to keep Queenslanders safe.
After a week when 7 new cases were reported, there are 11 active cases, 1066 recovered and a total of 1083 as at July 31.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said there had been a big increase in testing this week in response to two new cases brought back from Victoria – as well as more protection for Aged Care on Brisbane’s southside.
At the same time, visitors from Greater Sydney will be restricted from tomorrow (August 1st), as that region is added to Victoria as a declared COVID-19 hotspot.
“Now is not the time for complacency. Complacency is our enemy. So do the right thing with social distancing and hand hygiene, and we'll get through this together,” the Premier said.
Meanwhile job-creating economic activity continues under the Government’s Unite and Recover plan – such as the start of work on concrete tunnel segments for Cross River Rail.
“Construction is a vital part of our plan, and the underground project has multiple aspects – building new stations, drilling tunnels and manufacturing materials,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
Also this week:
- A $200 million infrastructure initiative will accelerate the plan to Unite and Recover.
- More domestic violence staff will be at police stations due to demand during COVID-19.
- Queensland’s COVID-19 utilities rebate has helped power prices fall by 14.8 per cent.
- Queensland is one of the first to open applications for HomeBuilder to assist recovery.
- COVID-19 support for National Parks tourism will be extended until September 30.
CASES – by Health District – as at July 31
Active: 11 Recovered: 1066 Total: 1083 Tests: 535,844
ANNOUNCEMENTS THIS WEEK
Premier and Minister for Trade
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk