At the Sunshine Coast AUSTRALIA DAY AWARDS held on Friday 24 January.
QUEENSLAND AIR MUSEUM received the award for.
Community - Group or Organisation
The category was sponsored by the Sunshine Coast Daily.
The category was the most hotly contested on the night with 24 nominees.
Queensland Air Museum’s (QAM) achievements include:
• Collecting and preserving aviation heritage and exhibiting the collection for the educational and cultural enrichment of the community.
• Housing the largest national collection of military and civilian aircraft and associated static displays representing Australian history. This is due to the efforts of over 200 volunteer members.
• Annual visitation has doubled to 18,000 thanks to the QAM committee’s successful tender to loan one of only seven F-111 aircrafts that were retired in 2010.
• The hand-over ceremony of the F-111 included one of the crew who delivered this particular plane to Australia in 1973 and two of the crew who flew it for the final time in 2010.
• This was a very significant moment in the life of the volunteers, the honoured guests and the community at large.
"QAM President, Cameron Elmes, says the award comes as a most welcome surprise, as the museum is celebrating its 40th Anniversary this year.
This award is a fantastic way to start our year and it is a great honour to have been named the winner. All QAM's volunteers are very proud of their achievements and are looking forward to seeing the people of the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia and international visitors passing through our doors to see what we have to offer."
Queensland Air Museum’s Sunshine Coast Australia Day award nomination was submitted & supported by the Caloundra Chamber of Commerce.
Queensland Air Museum thanks the Caloundra Chamber of Commerce for there support
See links below
For further information on Queensland Air Museum‘s Australia Day award, exhibits or operation.
29 Jan 2014 - Winner Certificate Sunshine Coast Australia Day Awards 2014.pdf
29 Jan 2014 - List of Nominees Sunshine Coast Australia Day Awards 2014.pdf
Queensland Air Museum
Tuesday 28th of January 2014