But who's at the top of Scott Morrison's Christmas list? 710 of the biggest, dirtiest corporations in the country who this year paid $0 in tax on half a trillion in revenue.1
0.1% of that money would mean $1 billion for equipping our firefighters, and looking after our volunteers. Just 1% of it would provide $10 billion each and every year to fast track the investments in renewable energy that could help stop out-of-control climate change.
But we've got a plan to claw some of it back.
GetUp members have a long history of funding hard-hitting research that has been vital in blocking corporate tax cuts, closing key tax loopholes, and opening up corporate databases.
This time with a team of independent researchers we want to dig into just how much the biggest tax dodgers receive in public subsidies, and public infrastructure. If we back it in with a hard-hitting public campaign, we can ruin the social license of the worst offenders, and mount the case for serious reform.
Will you chip in $12 so we can hire an independent, investigative researcher to hold tax dodging corporations accountable?
The strongest weapon multinationals have is their financial obscurity. But independent, investigative research can pierce the corporate veil, and shape consensus on commonsense legislation to close loopholes and toughen regulations.2
Together, our research has:
- Demonstrated how much money would flow offshore as a result of Turnbull's corporate tax cuts – and defeated them in the Senate.3
- Blown the lid on offshore ownership of the Minerals Council.4
- Established a clear link between the cost of corporate data and tax avoidance, forcing the government to make corporate data free for journalists.5
We need to follow the trail of corporate money. Can you chip in $12 for a crack team of independent researchers that will build the case for corporate tax reform?
Corporations have teams of accountants, lawyers, and lobbyists on their side. But the research you've funded in the past has cut through the spin and achieved real tax reform.
This time we want to ruin the social license of the big tax dodgers and:
- Expose how much tax dodgers receive in public subsidies, and benefit from public infrastructure to earn their revenue.
- Look at the connection between tax avoidance and CEO pay to put pressure on key corporate executives.
- Examine the impact of policies like country-by-country reporting in overseas jurisdictions, to build the case for stronger tax reform here.
- Take the fight to their doorsteps with hard hitting stunts that keep the media focus on corporate tax dodgers throughout 2020.
Can you chip in $12 for some hard-hitting, people powered research that'll turn the tables on tax dodgers?
Thanks for your support.
Ed, Rafi, Charlie and Tessa – for the GetUp team
 ATO data reveals one third of large companies pay no tax, ABC, 12 December 2019
 Towards a Fair Share", GetUp, December 2019
 Up in Smoke, GetUp, 2017
 Exclusive: Minerals Council one-third foreign owned, The Saturday Paper, Feb 2 2018
 Hidden Costs, GetUp, 2018