Development is continuing to gain momentum at the Sippy Downs Town Centre with nine separate developments set to be under construction by the end of this year.
Sippy Downs Town Centre next to the University of the Sunshine Coast and Innovation Centre, includes a business and technology park and neighbouring residential area. It is a major regional activity centre, intended to provide significant retail, commercial and community activities.
Division 6 Councillor Christian Dickson said development was gaining momentum and residents would soon see a lot of new development under construction as Sippy Downs evolved into an education precinct.
"When the university was established almost 25 years ago it was always envisaged that services such as accommodation, offices and retail outlets would all be within walking distance of the town centre,” Cr Dickson said.
“Sippy Downs was designed as an education and research hub and the development of the area demonstrates council’s commitment to the area being a catalyst for attracting knowledge-based employment opportunities to the Sunshine Coast.”
Recent Sippy Downs Town Centre development approvals include:
· MCU19/0224 – Mixed use development consisting of medical centre, commercial space and 18 multiple dwelling units. Located at corner of Stringybark Road and Central Drive - First stage is under construction
· MCU18/0168 – Mixed use development for an RSL Club, food and drink outlets, shops and multiple dwelling units. Located at 10 Courage Street. Construction to start in the coming months
· MCU18/0357 – 166 multiple dwelling units for Vantage located at corner of Sippy Downs Drive and Sedge Street – First stages are under construction
· MCU20/0152 – 13 multiple dwelling units for MS Queensland located at corner of Sedge Street and Spring Street
· MCU18/0274 – Mixed use development consisting of health care services, offices, shop and 30 multiple dwelling units. Located at the Corner of Sippy Downs Drive and Stringybark road – First stage under construction
· MCU20/0103 – Mixed use development offices, food and drink outlets, 16 multiple dwelling units and 30 short term accommodation units, 120 place child care centre – Located at 9 Courage Street
· MCU18/0210-12 multiple dwelling units. Located at 25 Botanica Drive. Under construction
· MCU17/2061.03 – 162 multiple dwelling units. Located at 45 Botanica Drive and 14-16 High Street. Stage 1 completed and Stage 2 under construction
· MCU18/0167 – 105 place childcare centre, offices and food and drink outlet. Located at 38 Central Drive. Under construction
Cr Dickson said the combination of planned residential, commercial and civic developments approved by council would help maximise the area as a launchpad for health and technology start-ups, incubators, entrepreneurs, accelerators, mentors and investors and it was fantastic to see such a positive response from the development sector.
“Our unique ‘university town’ vision for Sippy Downs is coming to fruition,” he said.
“Together, these developments are bringing us closer to realising the vision outlined in the Sippy Downs local area plan and I am confident to say that it is steadily becoming a vibrant and active town centre - an ideal place to learn, earn, live and play.”
Stay informed about development proposed in your neighbourhood by using council’s Development.i.
This online platform enables anyone to search and track development activity, and features visualisation, advanced searching and the ability to subscribe to receive email notifications.
Visit https://developmenti.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au to start your search.