Minister for Women Di Farmer today took a huge step – right off Kangaroo Point cliffs – to support Queensland women dealing with perinatal depression.
White Cloud Foundation’s Leaping Ladies event, held during Queensland Women’s Week, aims to raise money and awareness for mental health support for new mums.
Ms Farmer said as many as one in seven mums experienced perinatal depression, and the effects on women and their families are significant.
“It’s pretty scary abseiling off a cliff, but it’s also pretty scary being a new mum,” she said.
“I had my first baby as a mature age mum, and I know how challenging I found it.
“I’d been used to being in charge of my life and knowing how to do things – suddenly I had this little baby and I didn’t know how to do things at all.
“So this is something that’s close to my heart, and I know having support from evidence based organisations like White Cloud can make a real difference.”
Brisbane City Councillor Kara Cook, who has two young daughters, also made the leap this morning.
Ms Cook said, “I know from personal experience just how important the work of White Cloud is.
“White Cloud provides nutritious home delivered meals, which is a really practical way to support a mum in those early days.
“This kind of support can also open the door for workers to have conversations about other support and referrals with new mums.
“Practical support and conversations about getting help can reduce a mother’s risk factors of developing depression or recover quicker from a diagnosis.”
The other Leaping Ladies for 2019 are:
- Natalie Siegel-Brown - Queensland Public Guardian
- Associate Professor Karin Lust - Director of Obstetrics & Gynaecology at RBWH
- Anne Savage - CEO, Bicycle Queensland
- Sharon Callister - CEO, Presbyterian and Methodist Schools Association
- Karen Wallace Freeman - Nurse Midwife, Mather Mother's Hospital
- Liz Bennet - Metro North Perinatal Mental Health Team
- Tracey Mackle - Metro North Perinatal Mental Health Team
- Shubhashtree Moktan - Metro North Perinatal Mental Health Team
- Joyce van der Ham - Metro North Perinatal Mental Health Team
- Kelly Quesasda - Sunland Group
Mothers can call 1300 702 926 for direct support and for more information and to support White Cloud Foundation visit www.whitecloudfoundation.org
Minister for Child Safety, Youth and Women and Minister for the Prevention of Domestic and Family Violence
The Honourable Di Farmer